What Shaper is this one?

But maybe all shapers have the same equipment and this is just par for the course.
Yours is 100 times the features of mine. Mine was from an old line shaft unit, converted to electric. Just a small drive gear turning the large gear, which drives the ram. No oil pump, no tilting table. About the only bragging rights I have, is the variable speed drive added when the motor was added.

You have a great machine.

Yours is 100 times the features of mine. Mine was from an old line shaft unit, converted to electric. Just a small drive gear turning the large gear, which drives the ram. No oil pump, no tilting table. About the only bragging rights I have, is the variable speed drive added when the motor was added.

You have a great machine.
Not complaining at all, just trying to have a realistic assessment of the machine's history.

Mal

Just went back over the pictures.
I wonder if what you're seeing is from storage and getting dinged up there. It looks really clean to me.
The red wax on the gears looks aged.
The rest of the machine shows marks from what I think is storage and not from being used.
I'm not seeing any wear from operators, like the areas where hands are always grabbing something.

Here are some close up images.
It was when I found the used tooling with wax dipped ends that I got the idea that the machine had seen a lot more use than originally thought.
The gears that are waxed may well have been well used as well.
However the general condition of the moving parts that I can see inside the machine do not look abused, so a bit of a mystery.
I guess when I get around to running the machine, and see what level of accuracy it can deliver then some assumptions may be dismissed or strengthened.

Mal
MAL_0474.jpg
MAL_0475.jpg
MAL_0478.jpg

The third picture of the tool bits? Are they dull or have they been re-ground and then dipped?
Standard procedure is to dip them after sharpening. Me I prefer green to red. :grin:
Table looks good considering it's age.
Here are some close up images.
It was when I found the used tooling with wax dipped ends that I got the idea that the machine had seen a lot more use than originally thought.
The gears that are waxed may well have been well used as well.
However the general condition of the moving parts that I can see inside the machine do not look abused, so a bit of a mystery.
I guess when I get around to running the machine, and see what level of accuracy it can deliver then some assumptions may be dismissed or strengthened.

MalView attachment 315315View attachment 315316View attachment 315317

Drained the oil from the sump. A messy operation because of the location of the drain hole. Made up an extension for the drain plug, so I can get the oil to better drain next time.
MAL_0470.jpg
MAL_0568.jpg

You really scored on this one.
That is one cool shaper. Old machine with modern machine tool enhancements.
This is the first shaper I have seen with a lubrication system.

i have a small shaper i use for internal keyways. it doesn't have a variable speed motor but i easily change speed on the fly. are you sure those gears go with that machine?

There is a list inside the gear housing which shows the gear sets and their relative speeds, so pretty comfortable that the gears belong. Though I have not taken the wx off but I am no longer working on the assumption they have never been used. The reason being that several bits of used tooling was dipped in the same wax. So I think the company that had the shaper may have had the capacity to dipp the gears and tooling prior to either mothballing the machine or sending it to auction.

I have now run the machine, but not in anger as it is not bolted down yet. Everything seems to work so, some dyna bolts and we may be ready to make some chips.

Mal

I knew a guy years ago, who kept a wax pot in his shop.
When asked what he used it for, the answer was "sharpening used cutting tools for resale".

I knew a guy years ago, who kept a wax pot in his shop.
When asked what he used it for, the answer was "sharpening used cutting tools for resale".

Well that seems to back up my assumptions. So until I pull the wax off the other gears I will have no idea how worn they might be.

Do you have the gear hangers on the door like the one on tonylathesUK site?

1584199804366.png

Attachments

• 1584199961700.png
    1584199961700.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 163
Back