What rotary table to get

Well thank you. I like that dog! I need to cut gears that slide onto a shaft, so I won't have an integral mandrel. They take a bushing later and have no keyway. Any suggestions as to how to prevent rotation on the mandrel? I have a couple ideas, but ideas from a seasoned vet are always welcome. I thought maybe punch a keyway for use in this operation. I don't have broaches though. That leads me to perhaps drilling a hole in the gear for use in some kind of dog set up. Might hand file a hole into a keyway, but I hate for that to show after I bush the gear later. To me it would look like a screw up. Thank you for your help, and forgive me for threadjacking.

Thanks everyone for their replies to my questions. I did not get the 6" rotary table with indexing plates and tailstock, YET.

But I did come across a somewhat larger rotary table and picked it up this morning. It's nice low and it will fit my mill with some overhang. :rofl:

Here it is in the kijiji add.
rotary_table.JPG
It operates really well so I brought it home with me.
IMG_20140308_120526.jpgIMG_20140308_120519.jpg
As I said it's a little large, but I can fit it on my benchtop mill.
IMG_20140308_120545.jpg
I spent about 45 minutes cleaning it up a bit. I might go for more cleaning, maybe not.
IMG_20140308_124215.jpg

I thought $50 + about $15 for gas to pick it up was a good price.

The guy also has a small ajax knee mill he wants $1000 for that I am considering. It only stands about 5' tall, I would have to mount it on something to get it up higher.

rotary_table.JPG IMG_20140308_120526.jpg IMG_20140308_120519.jpg IMG_20140308_120545.jpg IMG_20140308_124215.jpg

Here it is mounted on my benchtop mill, uses up the whole table and a slight bit of overhang but I don't see that as a problem.

IMG_20140308_132837.jpg
IMG_20140308_132844.jpg
IMG_20140308_132831.jpg

IMHO -- This is as good as it gets for the money. This is the one I own.

Grizzly -- H7527 -- 6" Rotary Table W/Dividing Plates and Tail Stock.

"Billy G"

I can blow holes in the theory that you can't do big work on a small machine 24/7. I have disproved the theory many times over.

Billy: I am looking at this H7527 table for use with my G0704 mill. I understand that the center hole (sleeve) is a #2 Morse taper. Would this be intended for collets? What about a 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck - how would that be attached?

Thanks,

Frank
:))

Here it is mounted on my benchtop mill, uses up the whole table and a slight bit of overhang but I don't see that as a problem.

Nice RT!
I've got a 6inch Grizzly with tailstock and plates I used with my bench mill.
I sold the mill/drill (just to small for what I was doing).
Now that I've got a large Cincy I've been looking for a larger RT and a 5c index.
Send my a PM should you decide you want to trade.
Depending on where in Ontario we might be able to work out out delivery this summer during a "camping" trip.

Daryl
MN

Grizzly has a 6" with dividing plates and a tailstock for a very reasonable price. You can easily spend the same money on a Chinese 6" without these goodies. I think the fit and finish are pretty nice for Chinese too.

$331.95
found it,looking up how a tailstock is used.
saw 1 video on youtube
now need to see what the dividing plates are for
never heard on them,guessing t's for spacing hole/cuts?

$331.95
found it,looking up how a tailstock is used.
saw 1 video on youtube
now need to see what the dividing plates are for
never heard on them,guessing t's for spacing hole/cuts?

The plates are used for precise rotation/spacing. You'll want them.
Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Billy: I am looking at this H7527 table for use with my G0704 mill. I understand that the center hole (sleeve) is a #2 Morse taper. Would this be intended for collets? What about a 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck - how would that be attached?

Thanks,

Frank
:))

The taper is a bushing that is about 1" long is all. I think a collet would work fair with a creative drawbar. Mount a chuck to a back plate that is larger diameter. Cut 4 slots for mounting with T nuts.
Dave

Back