What rotary table to get

schor

Registered
Registered
I've got a benchtop mill and would like to get a rotary table for it. The milling table is 5.125x19.5.

I can get a 3", 4" and 6" rotary table for a reasonable price, what should I go for? Will a 6" be too big?

I've got a benchtop mill and would like to get a rotary table for it. The milling table is 5.125x19.5.

I can get a 3", 4" and 6" rotary table for a reasonable price, what should I go for? Will a 6" be too big?

Depends... For the sake of convenience, it's nice to have a unit where the bolt holes line-up with the slots in the table. If you can get that information, it's worth taking into consideration.

Ray

I wouldn't even consider an RT under 6".

It's been said before by many people but it bears repeating.

You can do small work on a big tool but you can't do big work on a small tool.

Grizzly has a 6" with dividing plates and a tailstock for a very reasonable price. You can easily spend the same money on a Chinese 6" without these goodies. I think the fit and finish are pretty nice for Chinese too.

IMHO -- This is as good as it gets for the money. This is the one I own.

Grizzly -- H7527 -- 6" Rotary Table W/Dividing Plates and Tail Stock.

"Billy G"

I can blow holes in the theory that you can't do big work on a small machine 24/7. I have disproved the theory many times over.

Yup, same thing. Price id close to.

"Billy G"

I have a small 4" i used with my first mill (LMS bench mill). It worked fine, the knob could hit the scales, so had to be careful. I have a 12" h/v for the mill, that is too heavy to either put onto the table... or take off, so it gets little use. I think a 6" would be great even for a knee mill.

I have a small 4" i used with my first mill (LMS bench mill). It worked fine, the knob could hit the scales, so had to be careful. I have a 12" h/v for the mill, that is too heavy to either put onto the table... or take off, so it gets little use. I think a 6" would be great even for a knee mill.

Dang, I just got a 200+ pound cross slide RT and I plan to transfer it between my two Gorton mills as required.
Thankfully I can still handle moving 200 pounds.
I like heavy, both in my machine tools and in my accessories.

Maybe this helps? It's the bottom of my 6" PhaseII. The mounting hole at the top of the photo is behind the vertical rule and the other end is held with a clamp, so no real worry about lining them up on your table, but it looks like there would be some overhang on your machine.

IMG_2467.JPG

-Ryan

IMG_2467.JPG

Back