What rod for welding red iron

First practice beads done with 6011, definitely has enough power to melt this 3/8" steel. I don't have experience with good stick equipment to compare but for what I paid I'm happy, it should do for my purposes. I'll post some pictures once I have burned a few more rods, went to Harbor Freight this morning and bought some safety gear and their Vulcan rods in 1/8", might try some 7018 if I can get by the welding supply this week.

John

What you have is some scrap hot rolled mild steel. It appears at some time, it had been painted reddish.

The welder you bought appears to be an Amazon prime day clearance of some kind. YesWelder's web site does not show this as a model? In general YesWelder's stuff gets mixed reviews. Many newbie posts happy to have gotten the welder, several disappointed experienced welders. I'm guessing you paid close to $100 for this thing? If it works once...

Users complain that YesWelder will not provide service to anyone who bought their welder off Amazon. I'm guessing this means some entrepreneur bought out a lot of substandard welders and blew them out on Prime Day?

The usual rule that a man that buys cheap tools may apply here. You'd have been better off buying a Harbor Fright Titanium stick welder, at least there are reviews that show they work.

Now on to your project:

Pretty much the most common rod to use on mild steel is 6013. I'd suggest you start by practicing on some scrap. Be sure you clean the paint off b4 you weld. The steel you have looks a bit light, is it 10ga? Try welding at 100amps then. Be sure to brace the frame on the diagonals as the thin stock will flex too much otherwise.

Post photos of the result!

Astrobuf
Actually bought it from the Yeswelder store:

Just over $100, I have an HF Titanium Mig welder but didn't think it would have enough penetration at 110v. Definitely taking a chance with Yeswelder but for the price you can't even get a used Lincoln Tombstone. Always keeping an eye out for the good stuff cheap but need to move this project forward.

John

First practice beads done with 6011, definitely has enough power to melt this 3/8" steel. I don't have experience with good stick equipment to compare but for what I paid I'm happy, it should do for my purposes. I'll post some pictures once I have burned a few more rods, went to Harbor Freight this morning and bought some safety gear and their Vulcan rods in 1/8", might try some 7018 if I can get by the welding supply this week.

John
Most Tractor Supply stores have 7018 on the shelf as to many Home Depot locations and Menards. The Hobart 7018AC at TSC actually runs very nicely on DC. In fact, most 7018 sold today is technically 7018AC, they just don't mark it that way...read the details and it will normally show AC as an option.

Back