[Noteworthy] What PROJECTS do you have planned for 2013?

I guess for now will be replacing the bearings in the lower cone drive of my 13" SBL. I was facing a bearing mount for a 130 MM bearing when I started hearing a squeak coming from the motor compartment of the lathe. I felt of the bearing support for the lower cone on the right end and it was warm, the other end was not. Spent 4 hours Christmas morning just getting to the bearing. SWMBO researched the bearing and found the mfg, New Departure, out of business but located the exact bearing from Consolidated (I think it was consolidated). Anyway, she said she would order them today. I had better send her a text and remind her. The sheave on the cone shaft is held on with a taper pin and I have yet to get that pin out. I broke a Bosch punch trying to drive it out, and yes I'm driving from the small end of the pin. When I get the cone off the shaft, I'll let SWMBO take it to work with her and she can get it out.

Patrick

I'm just starting out,so learning remembering and finish up restoring my lathe.No its not one of those glamor lathe its a Sears 101.27403(I think)I don't know what it is when I try to look up a manual all I find is Atlas,I know Atlas made it for Sears.Get some tooling,learn how to thread and read that chart thats on my QCGB so I have my work cut out and enjoying every min. doing so.Try to finish up reading "Project of the Month"awsome,Greg and this website is an inspiration for me a beginnier---kroll

I'm researching a good baffle design for both the benjamin marauder and airforce talon/condor air rifles. most in this area just have an empty shroud or cheap plastic inserts to quiet down the airgun. I think a good design using either delrin or 6061 will sell well with the airgun hunters and field target shooters, anyway thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

The key to keeping them quiet is volume and irregular surfaces inside the moderator. I have built quite a few and I only ever have 3 chambers inside. I use conical baffles with hair curlers and scotch brite pads as spacers. This makes them as quiet as a leprechaun's fart.

Paul.

still working on filling my toolbox.
hope to finish my set of 1-2-3's (8 total) and set-up blocks, a slitting saw arbor, angle plate(s), plus I'm in the process of making some "quickie" vise handles that I plan to give out to guys in the shop where I work.
Hobby stuff: a 'piggy' bank for my oldest son (aluminum square tubing I'm going to bolt ends on and machine the Superman 'S' on one side and engrave his name on the other), as well as some toy cars for him and his brother.
And who knows what else I might come up with- gotta think of something for my daughter, probably.

I hope to finish off the shop and fill it stuff!!!!! Hopefully...overtime here i come lol

Chris

Same project I started last year, which is to paint and clean up my Van Norman model 12, and hopefully get it powered up and running. I'm making good progress, though slowly.

Then there is to finish the paver walkway, build a pool shed, get my motorcycle running, fix the outboard....it just never ends.....

Finish my brake press, rebuild my other Bridgeport, finish my CNC Plasma table, get a job, get my surface grinder working, get my horizontal band saw back in service, get my woodcutting band saw working, sell my Burke, sell or finish my 47 ford rat rod truck there's a lot more & not necessarily in that order

The key to keeping them quiet is volume and irregular surfaces inside the moderator. I have built quite a few and I only ever have 3 chambers inside. I use conical baffles with hair curlers and scotch brite pads as spacers. This makes them as quiet as a leprechaun's fart.

Paul.

Sounds like others have my same project in mind. I have a well researched "K-baffle" design that I am finishing up now for my sons M4 air rifle. Has 3 1-1/2" baffles in it, with an expansion ring at the entrance. Hopefully this will turn out as quiet as you describe.

I have a 4X6 Grizzley band saw but I recently purchased a powered hacksaw. I don't need it but it was cheap and kinda cute so I bought it. The guy I bought it from lives in the mountains so it may take a while before he brings it into town. My hope is to clean it up and have it powder coated. One cannot have to many saws can one?

My two main projects are to figure out what the taper is on my Stark #4 tail stock is and get a turret attachment for it.
Next is to build a tapping stand. I currently use a V-block on the mill/drill with a small drill guide in the chuck to keep the back of the tap vertical until I have it started, then I switch to the tap handle. Kind of slow when I have to tap 30 holes, but gotta start somewhere!!

Mark

Back