What Is Your Choice In Air Compressor

Try looking at the CFM and the PSI you need
I use a signal stage 3 hp @ 80 / 100 psi works all tools
If you doing a lot to tire work you may need more PSI and will need a large more for same CFM

Dave

I am looking into purchasing a new air compressor for shop. On average to supply my needs a 2 stage 5hp 60 gallon compressor would give me the performance. My question is which brand would you pick? Right now I am thinking Quincy from Air Compressors Direct.
Ed

I think you cannot go wrong with Quincy, Curtis, Champion, IR 2 stage industrial type air compressors. I had the Curtis CA-5 series 5Hp with an E57 pump, and was also interested in the ML-5 (Master-line Series, which are heavier industrial). Very solid, no issue, they go for ever, but it was just was too heavy to move over time/houses. When I moved to my current house, I did a lot of research on a replacement compressor and ended up ordering a Champion HR5-6 which are also very well built, a bit more modern air pump and has low air pump speed (less noise, longer life). The vendor never delivered the compressor and went belly up, so do not have any hands on experience with this brand.

My main issue with most compressors is the noise level, which can vary quite a bit between models. The other thing to be more leery about, is that just about every major industrial air compressor company now has low end lines that are often made in Asia and often have quality issues/are not built to last (lots of reviews on this). Also looked at Quincy, a lot of happy customers, but need to focus on the model and price range you want to be in.

5 HP, 230 Volt, 1 Phase, 2 stage Air Compressors. Low speed motors (1750 RPM) and low speed cast iron air pumps (under 1000 RPM). They come in many variants, with free shipping from Northern Tools is hard to beat their prices. But when I bought my Champion, it was going to be dropped shipped directly from the manufacturer at no additional charge. Also look at the used market locally.

Quincy QT-5 Splash Lubricated 251CS80VCB (free shipping)
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350476_200350476

Quincy QP-5 Pressure Lubricated Reciprocating 351CS80VCB (free shipping)
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200510919_200510919

Ingersoll Rand Type-30 2475N5-V Splash Lubricated (free shipping)
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200367717_200367717

Champion HR5-6 Splash Lubricated (free shipping)
http://www.compressorworld.com/hr5-...-60-gallon-horizontal-air-tank-17-3-acfm.html

If I was in the market for a compressor in this size, probably would go with the Quincy or Champion, but any of these (light industrial) models will probably outlast us.
QED

Why not look right there in Pennsylvania at the Jenny Air Compressors? I bought just what you are looking for, 5 hp two-stage, 220V single phase, 60 gal upright for around $1600 a few years ago from Portland Compressor in Oregon. It has out performed all of the Ingersoll Rand compressors I've owned. Jenny makes some of their compressors right there in Pennsylvania. But be aware they have been on a buying binge and have recently purchased some other compressor companies whose products are not made in the USA. Hopefully they won't put the Jenny label on them. Jenny goes back to at least the 1920s and was the inventor of steam cleaners if I recall correctly. You can read about them via Google.
Jerry

I have a 5hp Ingersoll Rand SS5L5 SINGLE stage unit. I pick a single stage for higher volume flow rather than pressure. The unit even cycles when I sand blast. For home use I do not believe you need the higher pressures. You only need the higher pressure to avoid pressure drop in very long runs or you need a lot of air in a quick burst. Most home equipment only needs around 90 psi.

Another vote for ingersoll rand. I have a 80 gallon tank and a type 30 model 242 ingersoll ran compressor head. I lucked out and picked the whole thing up used. The compressor and motor were not original to the tank. The motor was mounted crooked and it kept eating belts. I fixed the motor problems and a few other issues and have one heck of a compressor.
Don't write off a good used unit. Check craigslist and any local papers/adds. You might get lucky.

We have a ingersoll rand just like the one in the 3rd link posted by mksj at work and it runs our shop great. We have 7 mechanics running various air tools, inflating tires and using air blowers. It works great.

Atlas-Copco, Ingersoll-Rand, SpeedAire (Dayton/Grainger), Sanborn,& Sullair all make excellent quality products.
i have done just about everything you can do ,service/repair/overhaul wise, on the industrial side of brands listed above.
each have their problems and strengths.

I have not dealt with Quincy or Jenny around here in CA, but i'd like to know more about them!

I've always looked for the biggest I could find at the lowest price in good used condition. I have an 80 gal, 5hp Black max (21 cfm at 150 psi) that I got almost new twenty some yrs ago. The guy I bought it from was running it inside his paint booth:eek 2: and was having issues with it (Ya think). took it home and cleaned up EVERYTHING and reconfigured it from vertical to horizontal so I could put it up in a loft area. Gets used a lot and has never missed a beat, but it is a noisy bastard (high speed). It will be going in it's own little house attached to the outside of my new shop building. Mike
CIMG3153.jpg

I am looking into purchasing a new air compressor for shop. On average to supply my needs a 2 stage 5hp 60 gallon compressor would give me the performance. My question is which brand would you pick? Right now I am thinking Quincy from Air Compressors Direct.
Ed
your question will open up a real pandoras box. there is more misinformation on air compressors than just about any other subject in our trade. mksj pretty much hit the nail on the head with his advise. buy one of these compressors, perform regular maint and you will be passing this thing down to your grandson running as good as the day you bought it .

Back