What Is Your Choice In Air Compressor

eac67gt

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking into purchasing a new air compressor for shop. On average to supply my needs a 2 stage 5hp 60 gallon compressor would give me the performance. My question is which brand would you pick? Right now I am thinking Quincy from Air Compressors Direct.
Ed

I would look out for a used Ingersoll Rand type 30 or similar, all the modern stuff tends to use chinese pumps and paper thin tanks. I service a couple of type 30's in the UK and the engineering is pure quality, and designed to last virtually forever.
Phil

The only reason I have the Home Depot special is that it got dropped at the store resulting in a cracked plastic fan belt cover. The manager wanted it gone. I got if for 1/2 off. She was plug and play no problems. Well none after I tore down the pump and remove the machine filings. Completely unrelated to the incident at the store and everything to do with poor quality control.

I had carefully selected a C-Aire when I stumbled on the bargain. I wouldn't have paid full price for this compressor. She makes alot more noise than the more expensive compressors, and the rebuild while not surprising was disappointing.

Note: Be careful with 3-phase compressors if you use an RPC. She will want to auto-start but will have difficulty unless the RPC is on.

Daryl
MN

My Sanborn is over 30 years old and still going strong, and I ran/run an auto shop. Its a 5hp 2stage and sometimes I wish it was bigger but it has served me well. Now that being said I'm not sure that a Sanborn has the same quality today. I might try and find an older non commercial compressor, maybe something along the lines of a home shop unit. Maybe I'm just getting old but I'd think the quality of an older unit is better than a newer one. Opinions may vary

I don't think you could go wrong with a Quincy.

We have a Quincy 10 hp running the machine shop at work. 3 Haas CNC mills, 2 manual Bridgeport mills, 2 CNC lathes, 1 manual lathe, 1 bead blast cabinet, 1 vapor blast cabinet, small paint booth all at the same time.

I just recently picked up a Quincy 2 stage and I is so much better than its predecessor.
Randy

I have been told that rebuilding a quality air compressor is no more complicated that working on a lawnmower engine. It would seem much easier in the long run than maintaining one of these modern import compressors.

The real secret to decent air compressors long life is very low RPM. These high speed small air compressors get hot quickly and die.

Another trick I learned, is that you can put a muffler on the intake and reduce the amount of noise.

I bought a used Quincy 60 gal 5 HP years ago and do not regret the extra cost for a industrial compressor a whole $50.00 it cost me. It keeps up with the sand blast cabinet all day long.

Back