What Is The Best Tool Score You Ever Got?

I bought a Woden bench vise (made in England) for 11 bucks at a garage sale. Much better quality than the usual stuff out there.

I scored a Harrison M300 lathe 13" swing 40" between centers late 70's or early 80's vintage. It came with back splash, 1 Aloris AXA TP with 7 holders, an off shore BXA TP, another back splash that appears to fit a smaller harrison lathe, and a sheet metal accessory shelf. All of these items cost me $1800.00 delivered. They came from a liquidation at the Excalibur plant in Milwaukee, Wi. Another score was a Bridgeport knock off (Pilgrim....most likely Tiawan) variable speed head mill for $1400.00 with longitudinal power feed also delivered. Finally I received a 12" 90:1 ratio rotary table missing the hand wheel and graduated dial delivered for free.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is my best, but for$19 it's close to the top :D

Who says there are no good garage sales in winter. We had snow and ice and I was the only one there.

Got a full coffee can of hole saws up to 4-1/2", set of craftsman nut drivers, and 5 silver and demming style drills.

20161209_102621.jpg

Shucks, Alloy - that's less then 50¢ a "piece." GREAT score!

Yeah pretty happy with them. I got the hole saws first and when she said $12 I went looking for more.

I already used the 3/4" drill bit today. Kinda dull, but I can fix that.

About 3 years ago a friend called, wanting to sell at auction 2 rifles any wondered what he should ask for them, I decided to meet him at the auction the next morning to look at what he had, they were selling about 50 gun that day so my wife and I sit down and watched them sell, later the auctioneer said they would be selling the tool in the next building when the guns were done, I jumped up and went looking at the tools, came back to my wife and said were not leaving till the tools are gone, what's back there you need (AN EMMERT PATTERN MAKERS VISE). About 2:30 in the afternoon the auction helper tried to pick up the vise and set it on a farm wagon for bidding. The auctioneer started with $200-$100 then $50 then where do you want to start boys, I held up 5 fingers and he said 50 dollars- I said NO 5 dollars-then another bid 7.50, another bid 10.00 then I bid $12.50 and won the vise. Paid the clerk $13.38, backed the van to the door and my wife and I carried the 87 lb hunk of iron home, I had wanted one since my Navy days in the shipyard but they were always out of my price range, I immediately got on ebay and found them going for $1100.00, this one was the U6 and had no damage, I cleaned and primed and painted with PPG Concept and now I look at it wishing I had the strength to mount and use it. Someday I hope.

May not be the best but last week I found an outfit on eBay selling the milling machine clamping and bolts set in the wooden base tee nuts , joined nuts all sizes of rods for $6.21 plus $5.00 shipping , now there 5/8 but ill use them . I've never seen Teco sets that cheap of any size. YUPP buy it now also got a size oo die head and a half dozen cutter sets $25.00 + $3.85 shipping I have been trying to stay away from eBay I could go broke in no time.

Hard to say which one was the best. Maybe my th54 atlas lathe I got for free, but I've also scored quite a few other deals.

I bought a Bridgeport quill-master head for $30.00.I was watching an internet auction and nobody had bid on it so at the last few minutes I placed a bid expecting it to get rejected but I got it.

Back