What Is The Best Tool Score You Ever Got?

A 16 in cinn shaper, vise included, which had been completely gone over when it was reassembled in a basement. Price was free.
Sb 9a. 50.00 I kept the du more tool post grinder than sold the lathe.
The most used is the 16 by 54 American pacemaker lathe 2. 3 jaw chucks, 1- 4 jaw chuck, 2 ax loris ca tool post , drill chuck. 2. Live centers. 2500.00 loaded on my trailer.
Thanks scruffy

Regarding the $50 cnc mill, when you put a number into the price box when composing a Craigslist ad it automatically concatenates at a comma character - so listing at 50,000 ends up as $50. Happens all the time. I've given up emailing to tell advertisers about their typos as they just seem annoyed. Oh well.

And yes, that mill is not worth 50K but a seller can dream.

Stu

Ulna. Doctor if you have ever moved a 3500 lb shaper up a very steep,narrow 1940's stair case ,makes it more valuable. Every thing was going great--- until it would not go thru the door at the top of the staircase.
Thanks ron

Last edited:
I've been really lucky since I started machining, although being a dumpster diver helps. Got a bunch of old tooling the machine shop at my last job was throwing out, plus scrap etc which I eventually sold for $300-400 or so, paid for a delivery of heating oil. Then they threw out an old Walker Turner 15in drill press and a Enerpac 10t bench press (didn't work). Nearly killed me getting those in the car (Ford Focus wagon) and then the DP got stuck so I had to dismantle it in situ :) The DP worked fine and has ever since, the Enerpac needed new cylinder seals and works fine - one day I'll do the seals in the handle too as they leak a bit. Saved me a fair bit of money in car repairs. Also had a friend give me an old jewelers style lathe which I fitted out and got enough money to buy an Atlas 618. And all that doesn't count the many generosities I've had from members of the machining community who have given me or traded me really useful and appreciated tools.

And last, but not least, the Craftsman 101.07301 that JimD gave me which I stripped and repainted and is now on it its way to my wife's cousin in Virginia.

All of those are such amazing scores from my point of view that I don't get (too) jealous when other people post up theirs :)

Kennedy top,middle bottom and side box full of mics (inside,outside,depth),indicators of all types,drills, adapters and mounts of all types. Fellow lost his job as machinist and could not hold another because of alcohol, he wanted $300 I gave him $600

Oh I forgot one, Darex e-90 end mill grinder never even used, Traded for front and rear brake job on a guys truck and he supplied the parts

I guess I should list a few of my other scores.

Jet GHB1340 lathe $750
Bridgeport step pulley mill $1300
Blake co-ax indicator $75
Wilton 4" bullet vise $20
Milwaukee porta band $25
Milwaukee deep cut porta band $50
Skat Blast Sand Blasting cabinet with dust collector $150

When I was about sixteen years old, a neighbor of ours back then, tuned me in on a place where he got me a Sunnen hone and a Imperial compound tilt rotary table that came out of NASA. Wrote him a check for $30 for the two. Still have the rotary table. My wife and kid will have to bury me with it and many of my other tools some day.

It is my sad duty and obligation to inform you all of the following information;
You aren't ever going to have enough tools
Your shop will always be too small
You will always have more projects than you will ever get to
If you ever own a lathe or mill, you will find you absolutely can't do without one
You will always wonder why everybody doesn't have one

I'm in the process of tripling the size of my shop, I'm not even finished and it's already too small
olcopper

Back