What Is The Best Tool Score You Ever Got?

And as yiu bust butt to clean out a spot for the project to get started you stumble upon another estate sale and fill that spot with things yiu did not need but could not leave...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I don't know where to start...had some funny ones......."I'll give you 20 bucks for this box of rubber bumpers"....."oh no, i have to get at least 25 cents each' so he counts them out.... "14.50" .....

"ahhh ok here ya go"....

I was at a yard sale a few years ago. I found a nice wooden box marked $10. It was heavier than I expected. I looked inside and found a 12" Starrett machinist level in like new condition. I took the open box to the lady and she said "that will be 10 bucks". I happily handed her a 10 spot.
Randy

I needed some tap and die so I was looking on Craigslist and found this and was about 15min away,I don't get good deals very often it seems like I just give good deals,not very good at selling or buying stuff. Now if I can find a metric set for around the same price.almost forgot it's a craftsman set and never used .And I forgot I got it for $30.00.

tap and die set.jpg

Last edited:
My best too score came when I responded to a CL ad for a Grizzly 4x6. They were asking $120. I showed up and it was an older widow whose husband passed unexpectedly and left a whole basement shop full of tools. When I went down there, I made some expression about how impressive it was and she said "You know what this stuff is?" I said yes. She asked if a 9x20 lathe with tons of tooling was worth around $200 and a delta 14" bandsaw with huge Baldor DC motor was worth $100. I told her that she had a lot of very valuable stuff and told her I would love to come back and help get things sorted, described, and priced. I just thought that if it were my wife, I would want someone to help out. You know the old saying "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her they cost".

Long story short, I spent several evenings helping out around there, and each time they insisted I take a few boxes of stuff with me. She refused to take my money. She would ask "are you happy with those items?" and I would say "absolutely" and she would say "then we're both happy, and that's all that matters." So when all was said and done, I paid a total of $160 and got my first little metal lathe, a small CNC milling machine, a Kennedy tool box, and tons of hand tools like files, taps, dies, reamers, counterbores, dial indicators, calipers, drills, stock, etc. I got more or less fully equipped for next to nothing because I wanted to help someone out. Turns out I made a couple of really great friends out of it, which is worth more than the tools. Her biggest concern was that the tools get used, and use them I do!

Avey #1 drill press in great condition . It was in the basement of a Estate Sale About 100 years old and very tight 25.00

I got this nearly unused HF 4x6 bandsaw for $50. (Picture is what it looked like off my truck). Needed a new blade (bought a $35 bimetal) and only a little TLC/adjustments and it worked perfectly. Much better on my arms
than the saws-all I had been using!

View attachment 115538

I did a little better on mine. $25 at a garage sale. Dayton brand but it looks like harbor freight model. Just got a Moore #1 jig borer with tooling for $50 at a auction this spring.

Back