What Did You Buy Today?

Once in a while I stop @ HF. I think they have improved on some of the stuff they sell. They still have lots of pure junk also. Prices have also been going up. I like my US General brand tool cabinets I got @ HF. I suspect China Tools Online has been eating into their sales.

Got a 5 Inch High Precision Milling Vise w/Swivel Base. A 0.0002” precision level “I might regret not getting a less accurate one”

Accusize Industrial Tools 12 inch Professional Master Precision Level in Fitted Box, Accuracy 0.0002''/10'', S908-C612.​

vevor 6” dividing head and 8” rotary table.

Had to get out of the house yesterday, so I trecked to the nearest Harbor Fright in Bricktown. On a whim I bought a small bench vise. The slightly larger 1 was the same price on sale but they were out. I figured I'd make due with it as I am going to need a much larger 1 (upwards of 200$) eventually.

Has anyone seen the prices for used vices on Craigslist? Here in NJ they be skeery.
Finding a good vise at an affordable price is usually possible by watching estate and garage sale ads for mention of "tools" and searching Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for "vise" and "vice" because of spelling variations. Another hint is to know that there are certain good brands that don't get respect. Almost everyone knows a Wilton is valuable, and Craftsman vises also demand a premium. Rock Island and Reed are excellent, and not quite as valued, but still not cheap. Morgan and the heavier Columbian vises don't get the respect they deserve and are often underpriced. The smaller, consumer grade Columbians are among the better vises of that grade, but are not designed for heavy use. If you are looking at a Prentiss, check out the back end of the slide, which is prone to cracking. Parker is an excellent brand, but can be priced high, along with Athol (which was branded Starrett later) which made excellent vises.

Since you now have a vise to work with, take your time and look for bargains!

Finding a good vise at an affordable price is usually possible by watching estate and garage sale ads for mention of "tools" and searching Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for "vise" and "vice" because of spelling variations. Another hint is to know that there are certain good brands that don't get respect. Almost everyone knows a Wilton is valuable, and Craftsman vises also demand a premium. Rock Island and Reed are excellent, and not quite as valued, but still not cheap. Morgan and the heavier Columbian vises don't get the respect they deserve and are often underpriced. The smaller, consumer grade Columbians are among the better vises of that grade, but are not designed for heavy use. If you are looking at a Prentiss, check out the back end of the slide, which is prone to cracking. Parker is an excellent brand, but can be priced high, along with Athol (which was branded Starrett later) which made excellent vises.

As a bit of a coincidence, I was trawling eBay (here in the UK) for decent sized vices yesterday. I currently have a modern Wilton that I got cheaply from Amazon Warehouse which is fine for using as a beater.

There are quite a few old Parkinson, Record and Woden vices available for reasonable money (£30-£60) but who knows the condition they're in? For a lot of these sellers, 'restoration' means a lick of inexpertly applied paint; I don't mind putting on some new jaw faces but don't want to have to completely rebuild the damn thing or worse, pay £50 for the privilege of taking an assembly of old beaten steel lumps to the recycling centre.

And don't get me started on perfectly good, if a bit grubby and scratched, 5 drawer, wooden tool chests from the likes of Emir, Union or Moore and Wright, 'restored' and then sold on as 'furniture' pieces for £300+.

If you want to store your jewellery or nick-knacks, buy a bloody jewellery box and leave the functional storage to those that want them for their intended use, not as 'cool' vanity items. A few months ago, I saw a smallish unbranded tool chest that had had its simple, plain, metal drawer knobs replaced with faceted crystal knobs; the seller was asking £200-odd.

God, I'm only 53 but I'm turning into Victor Meldrew. :oops: :big grin:

Wow, now you're getting serious. What are you making?

The disadvantage to high accuracy capable levels is the time it takes the bubble to settle.
Nothing special, just want to be as accurate as I can.

I got two harbor freight vises one 6” one 5” they where purchased while on sale during last year. I still have to break a vise though ;) with the small work I do I think I will never achieve it.

Back