What Did You Buy Today?

We can’t even buy a new Stihl in California. It is total nonsense. The only thing we can buy is an electric chain saw. It is ok if you are a homeowner with one tree to prune. What do you do if you have two hundred acres to prune.
Many of the Pros around here now use battery, MOSTLY exclusively. Quieter, safer since they don't have to leave them running between cuts. They still have the big saws in gas, but for pruning, its mostly battery, or hydraulic pole saws ( I assume, looking at dual lines going to them). They obviously need a lot of batteries.. but seems like they have made piece with it.

California doesn't have a sense of humor!
I think that's why the song references Californication. In Californication, there are some bizarre ideas, some are ahead of their time (auto emissions), some are good, but most are bizarre.. The warnings that this is known to the state of californication to cause cancer.. it winds up on everything. At that point the message is lost. So many defend it...

We have assortment of stihl electrics and a gas one.

The batteries are expensive, and you must let the saw do the work.

All work well, battery lasts as loon as I care to be working, forced break time is not bad...

Gas ones allow you to get worn out.

Getting g old sucks!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

One of the hardest parts of my power equipment business was when a customer would bring in his big old saw for a "tune up". We'd put in fresh gas, change the plug and clean/change the filters, sharpen the chain and test it out on the log out back.

The customer (usually in his 70's) would pick it up then bring it back the next day complaining he couldn't get it started. Of course it would start for us in a pull or two, problem wasn't with the saw....

This is where the electrics would shine, usually fine for the pruning our customer needed to do and no starting issues.

Even had a few old guys just give me their saws because they realized it wasn't a good idea for them to run them anymore....

John

Your luck with battery powered chain saws is far better than mine. I have 2 gas models and 1 battery powered one. The battery powered one is a weenie compared to the gas ones, and the battery is dead within half an hour of hard use. About the only thing it's good for is pruning.

I do like the battery powered string trimmers, edgers, and hedge trimmers. I even have a battery powered pole saw. The pole saw isn't as good as a gas powered one, but it does get the job done. None of the battery powered tools have to work as hard as the gas-powered ones. That's a good thing in that most aren't even capable of doing the same level of hard work.

I'm 75 and have certainly noticed the difference in effort it takes to start some of the gas-powered tools. I have an Ariens commercial tracked snowblower with a 14 hp engine. It's only a few years old, and usually starts on the first or second pull of the recoil starter. Even then it's all I can do to get it to turn over fast enough to start when it's 10* outside. It's much easier to just plug it in and hit the start button. It's running in less than 2 seconds.

most of the chainsaw safety gear, chaps jackets gloves etc have disclaimers that they are not rated for use with the electric saws. the electric saws can torque through the kevlar..... that being said having been sewn back together twice from chainsaws im still going to wear the ppe lol

While I have several gas powered saws I only have one battery. It's severely lacking for power. Once I understood what I had the only use it's had was in my ICF home cutting channels in the foam block for wires. Worked great for that.

When going exploring with the 4x4 in my area it's a good idea to have a saw along. I would love to have a battery one if I could trust it to do the job repeatedly during the day and not take all day getting through one 24" tree. Since I use battery powered tools for my day job I have plenty of batteries and chargers. At some point hauling gas is still a better deal.

Maybe some day they will get there, until then don't be requiring me to buy them.

Back