What Did You Buy Today?

I bought a brand new “Open Box”, Jacob’s 18N Super Chuck.
It’s a big son of a gun.
The capacity is 1/8” to 3/4”.
I found an NT30 taper/JT4 arbor. I bet Wholesale Tools was glad to get rid of it.
My lathe has an MT4 in the tail stock.
Now I can use a drill bit in the lathe or mill with a diameter larger than .500”!
I’ll be gentle! I know, lots of torque with these sizes. It looks great on my lathe tail stock. It‘s at home on the mill.
The JT4 taper is huge!
do you plan on switching the arbor back and forth? seems like a lot of work, and I'd be worried about messing the taper up by removing and installing it so many times. One piece of dirt, or cocked install and ... I can't say it...

Sounds like you get a greater torque and thus greater grip. Ideal for a larger chuck where rotational forces are higher, especially when used as a stationary chuck on a lathe tailstock.

I'm too invested in using Rohm chucks since I know and can trust the quality and grip, so it is unlikely I will ever change over to anything different. Had I found the Jacobs "Super" series years back, I may just have considered going that way. Ahh well.
I have noticed when I power tap in the mill, my Albrecht keyless chuck does not hold the tap as well as my 14N Jacobs.
The Albrecht allows the tap to spin when the going gets tough :)

I have noticed when I power tap in the mill, my Albrecht keyless chuck does not hold the tap as well as my 14N Jacobs.
The Albrecht allows the tap to spin when the going gets tough :)
Don't / Never use a $400 chuck to tap ! A cheap Jacobs off Ebay for $30 and it doesn't matter if the tap slips or not . ;)

i picked up a 5hp and a 10hp rotary phase converter... i dont have the juice to run the 10hp at my house so its sitting at dads, but its going to open up a world of equipment i can cram into my garage lol
That must have been a very large 10HP phase converter.....

That must have been a very large 10HP phase converter.....
3 phase power runs through my front yard to supply the local town's drinking water intake pump station. I was negotiating with the power company for service to my new shop, and they wouldn't supply me with 3 phase. I told them "That's OK, I'll just install a 15 HP phase converter, and when the neighbors complain about dimming their lights, I'll give them your phone number." Quite quickly, they came up with 3 phase for me.

3 phase power runs through my front yard to supply the local town's drinking water intake pump station. I was negotiating with the power company for service to my new shop, and they wouldn't supply me with 3 phase. I told them "That's OK, I'll just install a 15 HP phase converter, and when the neighbors complain about dimming their lights, I'll give them your phone number." Quite quickly, they came up with 3 phase for me.
Started up a light manufacturing operation in a warehouse in the mid 90’s that only had single phase and we needed 3: PPL wanted a bundle to get power to the building until they re-read the planned equipment list, which included a 4160 dynamometer for testing BIG clutch & brake components - they did the installation for free, but unfortunately for them to this day the dyno is still not installed.

The 20" sink came from eBay. It will replace my 5' stainless garage sink because I needed room for the lathe. The angle blocks came from @G-ManBart, and the rest in the photo from @mmcmdl. The boring bars are for the bushings I'm making to replace the worn ones in the lathe's apron.

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 25
  • blocks.jpg
    blocks.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 25
  • boring.jpg
    boring.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 25
Back