What Did You Buy Today?

I would be tempted to fit a cross vice on that.. Had one on the D/P where I first worked and my goodness, what a blessing that was!
I do have one (got it free off a colleague who bought it cheap from AliExpress and found he couldn't fit it under his small drill press). It didn't fit particularly well under my old drill press either but I kept it anyway.

It's cheap and a bit graunchy in its movement but I reckon it can be fettled into decent usability. ;)

Showed up in my mailbox this afternoon. Thanks David!

2ac146198a4d5840b360c15fb3f8efa6.jpg

Now to figure out how I can use it in my 50 taper machines at work and home shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh very nice!!

I do have one (got it free off a colleague who bought it cheap from AliExpress and found he couldn't fit it under his small drill press). It didn't fit particularly well under my old drill press either but I kept it anyway.

It's cheap and a bit graunchy in its movement but I reckon it can be fettled into decent usability. ;)

I have a "cheapy" one that I used on my old Clarke drill press before I gifted it to a friend building up workshop tools. I was upgrading to a better drill press at the time anyway, but as per usual, a bill killed the purchase at the time. Will be sourcing a replacement sometime during this year and planting the cross vice firmly onto the bed. Lost count how many times I have sworn because I needed one and did not have one.

As for the "cheapy" cross vice, its fine for what I need, but an upgrade is definitely on the cards.

I bought a brand new “Open Box”, Jacob’s 18N Super Chuck.
It’s a big son of a gun.
The capacity is 1/8” to 3/4”.
I found an NT30 taper/JT4 arbor. I bet Wholesale Tools was glad to get rid of it.
My lathe has an MT4 in the tail stock.
Now I can use a drill bit in the lathe or mill with a diameter larger than .500”!
I’ll be gentle! I know, lots of torque with these sizes. It looks great on my lathe tail stock. It‘s at home on the mill.
The JT4 taper is huge!

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpeg
    IMG_0464.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 18
I bought a brand new “Open Box”, Jacob’s 18N Super Chuck.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but don't the "Super" series Jacobs chuck have bearings in them?

NVM, just looked them up and yes, they have bearings. Any difference in performance other than being easier to open/close or difference in gripping torque on what is clamped in them?

Correct me if I am wrong here, but don't the "Super" series Jacobs chuck have bearings in them?

NVM, just looked them up and yes, they have bearings. Any difference in performance other than being easier to open/close or difference in gripping torque on what is clamped in them?
Other than butter smooth, the idea is you can get a much better hold on the drill bit with this system.
At least that’s what I understand.

Other than butter smooth, the idea is you can get a much better hold on the drill bit with this system.
At least that’s what I understand.

Sounds like you get a greater torque and thus greater grip. Ideal for a larger chuck where rotational forces are higher, especially when used as a stationary chuck on a lathe tailstock.

I'm too invested in using Rohm chucks since I know and can trust the quality and grip, so it is unlikely I will ever change over to anything different. Had I found the Jacobs "Super" series years back, I may just have considered going that way. Ahh well.

Back