What are your thoughts? Early Delta-Milwaukee 6x48 sander repairs

I would be surprised if the motor isn't (wasn't) 3450, which would give you about 4500 SFM assuming a 5"drum. Unless for some reason the machine was designed primarily as a wood sander.

Last edited:
Great advice above.
Be sure to get a belt cover to save some regrets!

-brino

I would be surprised if the motor isn't (wasn't) 3450, which would give you about 4500 SFM assuming a 5"drum. Unless for some reason the machine was designed primarily as a wood sander.
Reading through the manual I found on vintage machinery.org , the lower pulley should be 4” and the upper 5” with a 1,725 motor.
Does that sound right? This sander will be used for wood. The lower pulley on the 3,450 is the smallest one I’ve ever seen.

Good call on the table Mr. Whoopee.
This table has been welded on before. It doesn’t look like brass.
I’ll try to do a better job.

Attachments

• 6820CDEC-E5A9-45DD-ADC8-79BB052BE5A4.jpeg
    6820CDEC-E5A9-45DD-ADC8-79BB052BE5A4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 636A73F7-5020-4634-A9DC-107186104B97.jpeg
    636A73F7-5020-4634-A9DC-107186104B97.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • C34676F2-FF6C-46DC-8B95-4B721E7B04D1.jpeg
    C34676F2-FF6C-46DC-8B95-4B721E7B04D1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I found 2&4" pyroceram glass platen, I'm sure someone here has a vendor in mind who can cut a custom one for a 6". It's primary use is oven door windows.

I found 2&4" pyroceram glass platen, I'm sure someone here has a vendor in mind who can cut a custom one for a 6". It's primary use is oven door windows.
Same here, I Googled the size with no success. I’m surprised

I have a Delta/Rockwell machine similar to yours. The catalog states the belt speed to be 3,415 fpm. Mine has a 1.5 hp, 1,725 rpm, single phase 115/220 TEFC motor. Apparently they made this machine in a couple styles. Either totally enclosed (like mine) or with an open stand. Mine spent many years in an industrial machine shop. I doubt it ever saw wood, but did an excellent job on just about any metal we threw at it.

When the shop closed in 2000 it got moved into storage. I bought it 6 years later when the storage facility was being cleaned out. It was another case of it being fully intact when I paid for it, but missing a lot of parts by the time I could pick it up. I originally paid $200.00 for the complete machine, but the price was knocked down to scrap value when we found all the parts were missing.

I ran it as a disk only machine for nearly 2 years while I was looking for a top idler assembly. I finally found an assembly for $125.00 on eBay and installed it. The machine still has a home made top belt guard and is missing the left side belt guard. Hopefully some day I'll find them, but I still use it on a regular basis as is.

It isn't pretty, but it works:

View attachment 345519

I have a Delta/Rockwell machine similar to yours. The catalog states the belt speed to be 3,415 fpm. Mine has a 1.5 hp, 1,725 rpm, single phase 115/220 TEFC motor. Apparently they made this machine in a couple styles. Either totally enclosed (like mine) or with an open stand. Mine spent many years in an industrial machine shop. I doubt it ever saw wood, but did an excellent job on just about any metal we threw at it.

When the shop closed in 2000 it got moved into storage. I bought it 6 years later when the storage facility was being cleaned out. It was another case of it being fully intact when I paid for it, but missing a lot of parts by the time I could pick it up. I originally paid $200.00 for the complete machine, but the price was knocked down to scrap value when we found all the parts were missing.

I ran it as a disk only machine for nearly 2 years while I was looking for a top idler assembly. I finally found an assembly for $125.00 on eBay and installed it. The machine still has a home made top belt guard and is missing the left side belt guard. Hopefully some day I'll find them, but I still use it on a regular basis as is.

It isn't pretty, but it works:

DSC00029A.jpg

Projectnut,
I have your enclosed stand on my Delta 14” band saw. It’s a 70’s model made in Canada.
I like your comment, it aint pretty but it works.
I don’t plan on pimping it out
My son would prefer it stays looking like it is.
Ill clean it up some but the main thing is to have a good mechanically operating sander in the end, cheaply

I bought a cast iron platen from Grizzly for my DIY 6X48 machine off the parts list for their 6X48 belt/disc grinder. It does not have a pyroceram liner, but works fine and has held up well. Downside is that it likely will need to be modified for your machine, and it's not cheap.

Last edited:
Back