What are factors for what "class" of lathe to buy?

Anyone familiar the Birmingham 12" x 36" Precision Geared Head Bench Lathe - YCL-1236GH.?

Looks nearly identical to the PM-1236T in the layout of it's controls... can be found online for as low as $5250.

Anyone familiar the Birmingham 12" x 36" Precision Geared Head Bench Lathe - YCL-1236GH.?

Looks nearly identical to the PM-1236T in the layout of it's controls... can be found online for as low as $5250.
Looks identical doesn't mean much.

Looks identical doesn't mean much.
I would imagine similar origins... granted, every re-seller might have different specs that are not apparent on the surface... and then, well, it doesn't mean much as you say.

Just two hours away from you, looks like it's a hobby machine not from a factory. Even has a stand that you can modify with casters and a toolbox.

Just sayin' this will be a Taiwan built machine that probably already has any bugs worked out and will do everything any of the machines you're looking at will do....

John

Lots of us on here have them, most made by Tida but they work well and have belt drive for a little forgiveness like your 618.

Probably some room for negotiation at that price, I paid $850 for mine.

John

Just two hours away from you, looks like it's a hobby machine not from a factory. Even has a stand that you can modify with casters and a toolbox.

Just sayin' this will be a Taiwan built machine that probably already has any bugs worked out and will do everything any of the machines you're looking at will do....

John
Going to have to check this one out... looks like it's in pretty good condition. My guess is that a 1236 over the 1228... the extra 8" will be nice to have.

Nice deal, especially with tooling.
I always heard accessories and tooling can cost as much and likely more than the lathe...can't say I "got it"... now just a few months of my 618, i "get it"

I've added some ar-warner HSS indexable inserts, digital micrometer, calipers, edge technologies tool post drill chuck (on the fence on this one), edge technologies tool height level (wasted $$), a couple tool holders, some taps and dies, a few larger twist drill bits... and then like $500 later... oh, this is what they mean by tooling costing so much :). I haven't even gotten into the big ticket items like chucks, collets etc.. .

It just dawned on me and what a nice user friendly feature the 1236T has, the motor control level... it controls the spindle on and off, and I assume direction on most lathes having this bottom, 3rd shaft running though the saddle apron.

Your hands can stay safe and near the apron the entire time for most usage and not have to cross over to the main panel in the midst of turning operations.

Attachments

• mcl 1236T.png
    mcl 1236T.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Back