Well crap

For mine, I just bought the right color parts from the junk yard and put them on myself. Which might require some patience if it’s not on hand when you want it. I spent less than a hundred, and gave the dented parts in trade.

Talk with the insurance company about that salvage (?) title business. Some insurance companies refuse to insure a salvage title vehicle. Mine here in Ohio won't.
If that "SS" can be proven (vin number) it may be worth it to tell the insurance company you only want a claim on the tree, keep the Trailblazer titled as what it is. Then fix it yourself.
Good luck.

I would probably attempt to fix it. Fenders are usually pretty easy to replace.

It's definitely ss model with the 6.0 ls2 in it. My adjuster just called and their estimate was $1881. After my $500 deductible that's $1381 they will pay. She did say if the shop found more damage they could add it. So as far as I can see it's well under the 75% repair cost threshold to total it. I'm inclined just to take it down and say fix it and be done with it. I have better things to do with my time. I've got some aluminum chips to make and that pays more than trying to save money spending my time fixing it myself :p

At the moment we are having what they are calling a "weather event". Why not just say it's cold as hell and is snowing? Anyway I'm going to wait for the roads to clear before I take it anywhere to have it looked at. I don't want to add a collision to the damage. And I have the cut the fender so I can open the drivers door first. And it's too damn cold to do that outside and my 55 is in my shop on my lift and will stay there. I might just lift the 55 up and roll the trailblazer under it so I can get it out of the cold to work on it.

ss model proof.pngestimate1 shot.pngestimate2 shot.png

Yep,

Lots of things I would fix myself in younger days. If you have a shop you trust it's worth not having to hassle with trying to get parts and match paint. When you have someone else do it you can expect it to be right, when you DIY it's up to you to make it that way.

John

I got the trailblazer back this morning. It's raining out and I know everything looks better wet, but as far as I can see it looks pretty good. Door gap is good, everything on the door works. They had to pull the door apart, remove the mirror and door handle. apparently they had to paint the door to get it to blend in with the fender as it was a red tint coat. They said only the SS models had that color. They matched the insurance companies estimate to the penny. I'm not parking it under the tree anymore.

finished fender.jpg

I want to keep the vehicle and I read if I buy it back after being totaled the title is branded and a total.

The damage isn't from a collision so it would be very easy just to replace the fender. A new one is $147 from rock auto plus shipping. The hood looks repairable. I'm just not sure if I should replace the fender or let the body shop do that.

I've found another trailblazer that's red, but I believe the ss model had a different color of red.

Not certain how they do it there but in Texas they give you a red title which means it was totaled and then repaired or it can be used for parts.

Back