Well crap

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We had a wind storm here Sunday night and a tree branch came down an hit my trailblazer ss. Took the left front fender out and damaged the hood. This is my tow rig, It's drive able. Can't get in the left door, and somehow the right door seems tweaked also. I'm covered by insurance, but with it being a 2008 will they total it out?

Carmax says it's worth $5400. Being an ss model it's actually worth a lot more withe the ls2 in it, but apparently not by the insurance companies.

Attachments

• 20240111_093651.jpg
    20240111_093651.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240111_093659.jpg
    20240111_093659.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Even if they total it, you can usually by it back up on discount. Thats what I have done in the past. Paid 7500 for my truck the first time, and 1500 to keep it after it was totaled.

I had a Chevy Tahoe that I bought at auction for ~$4200. By the time I sold it I'd easily pocketed $6k from insurance. Nope, no fraud.... Just payments from accidents that weren't my fault.

If they total it just buy it back and do the repair with the payout. It's yours so salvage title doesn't really matter....

John

I want to keep the vehicle and I read if I buy it back after being totaled the title is branded and a total.

The damage isn't from a collision so it would be very easy just to replace the fender. A new one is $147 from rock auto plus shipping. The hood looks repairable. I'm just not sure if I should replace the fender or let the body shop do that.

I've found another trailblazer that's red, but I believe the ss model had a different color of red.

Yeah no collision damage, so that's a good thing. Basically just replacing the fender and repairing the hood, then paint. If I knew anything about painting I'd do it myself.

Now I wait and see what the insurance estimate is. The shops I've contacted want that before looking at it.

Yeah no collision damage, so that's a good thing. Basically just replacing the fender and repairing the hood, then paint. If I knew anything about painting I'd do it myself.

Now I wait and see what the insurance estimate is. The shops I've contacted want that before looking at it.
You can paint.
There are many levels of quality though :)
I’ve had my fair share of automotive paint adventures. It’s a touchy endeavor
Shoot, I painted my 1960 Ford F100 back in 1977. It came out pretty good. I paid $80 for a gallon of good quality auto paint.
Today, a good gallon of paint is more than a grand. You can buy the cheap stuff at around $600. But, it’s all two stage now so the price goes way up.

Cheaper to replace the fender and hood. Unless you can use a dent doctor guy for the hood, the labor at a body shop will likely outstrip the cost of a used one. A simple respray and you are done.

Back