Welding Mask

I just got that blue flame helmet, but haven't been able to get to my welder due to an overflow of junk in the garage to try it. Naturally I'm curious to know why you would have shelled out for the lincoln or miller if it works ok.

You know, now that you mention it, I can't remember what it was that made me think that. It's been a while since I have done any welding though. I just remember thinking at one point "should have spent a few extra bucks on the nicer helmet". Part of it may be that I ended up paying full price. On sale, they would be a much better deal.

I have 2 HF helments and my only complaint is that the batteries are not replaceable. Once they die they are gone for good. I got the time I may tinker a bit and see if I can hack a new battery into one and see how well it does. The HF helments are like 50 bucks and TSC has Hobarts pretty cheap too, so you do have plenty of options for imported and domestic. And they all seem to work about the same no matter where they originate from either.... So don't hesitate to get a HF helment they do just fine for me and I am a former welder by trade....

Bob

I have gone through 3 miller elites helmets (300 plus $ each) all destroyed by my own abuse or really by a severe commercial environment, two cracked 1 flooded when it fell into a puddle. The elites are great but have one other problem, miller does not sell a hard hat kit for them and some jobs are 100% hard hat, i called miller and *****ed about it and they said it was coming (the was in 2010). One of the elites i had was with the filter pac air flow which was great because you don't have to wear a respirator. Speedglass has an air-flow integrated hard hat system.

I now just use a standard grey fiber-metal brand helmet with small lens area with flip.

I bought 3 cheap (like 39 bucks for 3) Chinese eBay auto lenses that fit the small lens helmet and sold 2 for 20 each. The color was a little weird at first but it worked just fine no issues i used it for about 6 months and it got stolen. I have meant to replace it but haven't gotten around to it. I kick myself for selling the other 2 but the guys i sold them 2 were buddies they came up with the price and both were happy with the lenses.

In the type of welding i do (flux-core, carbon-arcing, grinding) i change cover lenses at least twice a week the company always provides the small size that fits the standard helmet, but not the expensive lenses for the elite or even the standard large size. I had millers next helmet down from the elite and in some positions (overhead around a corner) the sensors would not work and it would not darken.

For home shop i would consider another auto shield or the small insert lens from eBay. I know i am giving a commercial centric opinion here just though it might be of some interest to some.

Bob

Looking at HF, I see that they have their auto darkening helmets at 49.95. A 25% coupon would bring it down to around $37.50. That would not be a terrible loss if it turned out not to meet my needs.

I like my under $40.00 bucks HF! I never had one till I got that one. Works good. Like others have said the downfall is no replaceable
battery. But for the money it has served me very well.

The ones without replaceable batteries work ok, but once that battery charges/discharges all the time, and they don't last long. I had a couple of those helmets, and the less you use them the shorter time the battery survives.

My buddy (one of those guys who has to have the most expensive item going) bought a second Optrel once the first one died, but I couldn't justify the $800 price tag. In the end, I went for a Miller (cool - has hotrod flames!), and I've been VERY happy with it. I had to replace the battery after about 1 1/2 years of hard use - got a pack of 8 at the local dollar store for a buck. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

One thing to keep in mind is the reaction time for darkening. Some of the cheaper ones are very slow (relatively speaking), and allow a lot of blinding flash - consider that every time you see that flash, you've just sustained a little bit of irreversible retina damage. For me, spending $200 vs. under $100 was worth the protection from the potential for blindness...

Another thing to keep in mind is the more expensive, name brand ones have up to 4 sensors on them. If you are in confined areas or weld on thing like race car roll cages the sensors can be blocked so the more sensors the better.

Personally, I only have one set of eyes and entrusting them to a cheap auto darkening hood just doesn't seem right. Also if you plan to do any lower amperage tig welding the cheap helmets will disappoint you.

I have one of the HF auto darkening helmets, and it works fine. It has even survived several Minnesota winters in my unheated, un-insulated garage and continues to work just fine. Not too bad for the price, initially.

After some time, one of the plastic spot welds on the headgear let loose, and the headgear will pop apart from time to time. I also discovered that I cannot replace the battery (as previously mentioned) so once it dies, the whole thing will be gone, and will get replaced with a better unit, probably somewhere in the $100 range. I had thought about replacing the headgear, but if I spend any money at all, it will be on a better quality unit.

I have nothing against the $300 units, and if I was welding professionally I would most likely go with the very best that is out there, but for the amount of welding that I do, a middle of the road unit is what appeals to me the most.

I have 2 HF helments and my only complaint is that the batteries are not replaceable. Once they die they are gone for good.

You can replace the batteries in them. You do need to split / saw open the case. They have two coin cell batteries inside like the more expensive helmets. It's easier to just run an AAA two battery holder wire through the case and glue the battery holder to the inside of the helmet. I was satisfied with my variable shade HF helmet but the Miller is easier to see through when on low amp Tig.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to the instructions on how to replace the batteries on the HF welding helmet. It's a little over half way down the page.

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?cat=4

all I got to say is you get what you pay 4 I have did welding for 30 + years and a welding mask is like your welder you don't pay 40 or 60 or $ 100.00
for a good welder so you need to up it
Lincoln or miller, Jackson is what I use it my cost more but you have the tool for the job and the Jackson to me has the best ventilation
I do tig welding to so I need a good one for that
but you don't have to spend big$ to get what you need look around

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-ELE...697?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c1ab82f1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-Vik...788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565ad3ed7c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Pro-...728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33853488d8

look on ebay

tractor supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...n_US&searchTerm=Auto+Darkening+Welding+Helmet $ 29.99 to $149.99

Back