Welding Mask

Earl

Active User
Registered
I need a recommendation for a welding mask. (auto darkening). I don't want to spend a fortune but I also want to protect they eyesight that I have left. :)

Anyone have experience with Harbor Freight masks? No need to expound on the made in China crap - they all appear to be made in China!

Thanks,
Earl

If you have any farm stores in your area, keep an eye on the sales - I bought one at one of our local farm stores (Orscheln)for around $30 on sale (about half price) a while back. Can't remember the brand, but it works just fine. Has adjustments for delay and tint, I believe. I'll look at it when I get home and post the brand and exactly what adjustments it has. I was looking at the HF ones before this came up.

Edit - Mine is a K-T brand. http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Ors...-helmet?&query=welding+helmet&hits=12&offset=

Settings are for Sensitivity and darkness, with a switch for grinding or welding.

There may be some more sales coming up pretty soon. Just another option to look at.

Dan

Miller Elite. Large viewing area, comfortable headgear, great battery life. Buy once, cry once.

+1 for HF auto darkening helmet. I bought mine with the HF 170Amp Mig, with a 20% off on total purchase coupon. I love it!

Chuck

Thank you for the replies. Local Welding supply has them from almost $300 down to about $100. Looking at their hundred dollar version I might as well just put a black bag over my head! :) I know that you usually get what you pay for but those prices seem a bit high to use 8-10 times a year. I will keep my eye open for a used "good one" and see what comes up. If I can't find one, I may opt for the HF one.
Thanks again,
Earl

Thank you for the replies. Local Welding supply has them from almost $300 down to about $100. Looking at their hundred dollar version I might as well just put a black bag over my head! :) I know that you usually get what you pay for but those prices seem a bit high to use 8-10 times a year. I will keep my eye open for a used "good one" and see what comes up. If I can't find one, I may opt for the HF one.
Thanks again,
Earl

Never used this type of hood. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation under the hood. I seem to recall a possible health risk from inhaling some of the fumes.

I have 2 of the HFT auto darkening (the blue flame pattern one). They work ok. If I had to do it again, I would have shelled out for the lincoln or miller.

I have 2 of the HFT auto darkening (the blue flame pattern one). They work ok. If I had to do it again, I would have shelled out for the lincoln or miller.

I just got that blue flame helmet, but haven't been able to get to my welder due to an overflow of junk in the garage to try it. Naturally I'm curious to know why you would have shelled out for the lincoln or miller if it works ok.

I've been using the same HF blue flame helmet for over five years. It's fine for my purposes. I also have the HF model that's about 10 bucks cheaper. It's fine for stick and higher amperage TIG welding but with TIG, it flashes-out when you get below 80 Amps or so.

EDIT: To clarify, the blue-flame model works fine under all TIG Amperages (even DC).

Ray

Back