Welding Mask

Speaking of Northern, I just received an email from them with this on on sale for $39.99 - looks a lot like the K-T I got from Orscheln (except mine is black).
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485271_200485271

I'm glad to see this thread was already here. I just ordered the above unit after reading all the reviews. I'm sure it's gotta be better than the last POS I bought.

Shipping was very reasonable as well. Can't wait to get it and try it out.

You can replace the batteries in them. You do need to split / saw open the case. They have two coin cell batteries inside like the more expensive helmets. It's easier to just run an AAA two battery holder wire through the case and glue the battery holder to the inside of the helmet. I was satisfied with my variable shade HF helmet but the Miller is easier to see through when on low amp Tig.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to the instructions on how to replace the batteries on the HF welding helmet. It's a little over half way down the page.

http://www.pskl.us/wp/?cat=4

Anybody ever done that with an Optrel? Mine died about a year ago and it's one of the older models that didn't have the changeable batteries. I'm down to my Lincoln which doesn't feel the same.

-frank

Anybody ever done that with an Optrel? Mine died about a year ago and it's one of the older models that didn't have the changeable batteries. I'm down to my Lincoln which doesn't feel the same.

-frank
I'm sure it can be done. What have you got to lose, it aint working now! The view module should pull out of the helmet. I've changed out batteries in GPS devices that are supposedly not changeable. You can find all kinds of odd batteries on EBay for just about any application. Once the helmet viewer is opened up, you should be able to figure out what type of battery is in it and buy accordingly. Or run some leads to the battery leads and install your own new batteries where they'll be forever accessible.

I have one from HTP, They're great to deal with and probably have the best customer service I've ever dealt with EVER. You'll have a good chance with talking to Jeff Nolan. He's the president of the company. You can call them at 1-800-USAWELD.

http://www.usaweld.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=90130-CFB This is a great helmet! I cannot speak for the rest, but I bought a Lincoln at Home Depot and it's way too dark, there's no way adjusting the darkness. You cannot see the puddle at all. I now use it for people that want to watch me weld. Like my kids or friends. That's it.

Anybody ever done that with an Optrel? Mine died about a year ago and it's one of the older models that didn't have the changeable batteries. I'm down to my Lincoln which doesn't feel the same. -frank

I bought an Optrel satellite for work back in 06, and the non-replaceable batteries finally died this past (2013) spring. I replaced it with the new model, which now the batteries are now replaceable. Any how, I kept and now use my original non-replicable battery helmet here at home, in my shop. I keep it perched in the shop window when not in use, so it's always facing directly in the sunlight. Now the solar panels are keeping the batteries fully charged. I had original thought of opening up the cartridge to see what's inside, and try to get to the batteries and see if they can be changed. But the sunlight/window method has be working well for me, so I never attempted it.

Also...before I brought (the above) Optrel clunker helmet home, I used the ($30.00 with coupon) HF Blue Flame, variable shade helmet here in my home shop. I used it for a couple years, both Mig and Tig, and it really was a good helmet. Because I didn't use it any longer, I gave it to a friend on mine this summer, and he's been using it since, without any complaints/problems either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one from Princessauto, which is Canada's answer to HF. I've found that 9 is good for me. Anything over that and it's hard to see.

Earl, I used the autodarkening HF welding helmet (item 46092) this year for some light welding around the house. It seemed to work fine and in fact when it is turned up to 13 it is too dark in most situations. If you are in hobby mode I think it would be fine. If you are doing production welding it probably warrants an upgrade. YMMV

I bought the Harbor Freight for $39. Going on 3 years and not a problem.

Back