Watchmakers/jewelers, Help Me Remember...

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
On a standard workbench I have seen, there is a semi-circular cutout to give you a sort of surround while you are working. I like that. But I cannot for the life of me remember what the apron-like piece of leather or cloth that is draped between you and the bench, with the intention of catching all the tiny parts rather than lose them on the floor. What's it called?

On a standard workbench I have seen, there is a semi-circular cutout to give you a sort of surround while you are working. I like that. But I cannot for the life of me remember what the apron-like piece of leather or cloth that is draped between you and the bench, with the intention of catching all the tiny parts rather than lose them on the floor. What's it called?

They're called bench aprons, basically catch trays for small parts, filings, etc.

I don't use one. I work over the table.

So do I, but I ran across some nice plans for a jewelers workbench that included recommending using a split, soft leather apron. It seemed like a good idea. Kind of lets you relax and lean back once in a while with out worrying about little parts rolling off the bench, or gives you a fighting chance to catch small springs, etc. I can't find those plans now, unfortunately, but I was almost sure there was a traditional name for it besides apron.

The NAWCC.org site will have it.

I found the site I believe where I found reference to it. It was a jewelers site. Ganoksin.com. It's a jewelers site primarily, but there is a wee bit of overlap with some timepieces actually more jewelry like than just a watch. Lots of tools, techniques, and tips for working with precious metals and gemstones. I think I found (haven't found it again) reference to the special apron in some member's comment on his own personal setup.

Unfortunately, with the nerve damage in my hands, along with the arthritis and failing eyesight, I have a feeling I have waited too long to be serious about horology. But clock parts are a lot different. I have every confidence I can still make clocks. So, like some old retired machinists turn to small engines, I probably will turn to timepieces. At least I can see most of the parts with out help. I'm not opposed to working under magnification, but I take it as a signal on where I am in my endeavors to pick up something fairly new to me.

Ok, so this is an interest of mine. I can tell you just who to speak to. Al Takasch. He is in a chair and an expert clock maker and repairer. Look him up and drop him an email.

If you are not claustrophobic. I have always thought of a making a very small room with white colored walls and floor and with good lighting. A room maybe 4’ X 4’. That way, if any parts shoot off (don’t ask how I know this) they can’t go far.

Thanks for the contact Nelson. I'll get with him.

Chips, aside from the general purpose portion of the shop, which isn't all that large, compared to like Randy's or Paco's, I have roughly a 10 x 10 area set aside for electronics service/repair/building. I hate to think of it, but I may have to try and figure out a way to make that space workable for clock work too. As disorganized as it is currently, if you saw it you'd think it impossible, but when it is cleaned up, and I sell off some (all) of the duplicate instruments (who needs 3 scopes, 4 signal generators, 6 tube testers, 2 cap checkers, etc.?) there might be room to set up a small extra workbench with the lathe on it. Not sure what I'll do for gear making. I guess I could still use the rest of the shop when needed. At this point, that area is not walled off, but I have often thought of enclosing that area just to keep it clean, if nothing else. It might be a good idea if I start getting serious about timepiece work.

I am an apprentice with a guy here. But clock machining is badly needed. That is why I got the machines in the first place. Prices are high but understandably so for what it is. There are only a couple guys who make parts. You could make money doing this.

New wheels (gears), pinions, arbors, mainspring barrels with gears, sprint clicks, are all needed.

Back