Watchmakers/jewelers, Help Me Remember...

Don’t know what caliber of clock you want to swap out the guts on. But on the clocks I have, that would be sacrilege. Most movements involve a clock repair person and not a clockmaker person. A good cleaning & oil, maybe a few bushings, maybe a pivot or two and more than likely you will need to fix what the last person(s) did not do correctly. I think you have the skill and knowledge to just dive right in. I think the clock repair course will mostly bore you to sleep. One thing that comes to mind is when disassembling a movement, make sure the mainspring power is let down or under control. You can easily damage a movement if you don’t heed this rule. Everything else is basic mechanics. No blueprints that I’m aware of. If you need a part, it’s usually from a sample or you measure existing components to make a missing replacement. You can do it…Dave

Well, no one ever accused me of being timid. I remember my first automatic trans. I have an aged uncle who made his living at it when he was working. He wouldn't even off any advice other than "dive in, you can do it". But that was after years of mechanic work. But then, I have been at making parts as well as checking precision parts (along with just about everything else associated with it except outside sales, hated that part) for well over 40 years. And even though it's been mostly oilfield, not everything is big and rough. One former customer had an in house horological machine shop. Wish I had stayed more in touch with those guys. I guess if I'm going to do it, I need to get started before my eyesight and dexterity get any worse.
So with that thought in mind, I'll be looking for recommendations for machinery and tools. I have the major parts of a jewelers lathe, and can build the rest once I settle on whose design to steal. But for gear making, I am seriously considering building a wire EDM. I know there is a Yahoo group for them, as I am a member. I play with electronics maybe enough to pull it off, but have a brother who has probably more practical education than most EE's. I can build the thing, and there seems to be a lot of support from the home brew world. Part of me says no, do it the old fashioned way, and that is important to me. But then I would obviously have to learn the old ways. I'd actually prefer to do that, even if I do build an EDM. I can see too many other uses for it, not just in clockwork.

Chips, I completely agree with what you said about new guts in an old clock. There is a ton of purist in me that wold have to be overcome to allow me to do that. BUT, that said, if that's what it takes to get my feet wet and maybe make a few bucks, I may have to have that personal battle. I honestly believe I have a strong mechanical instinct and have proven this many times on things I have never laid eyes on, so it's not that I am a bit afraid of working on clocks. It's just the decision and commitment involved that are a little intimidating. I'd end up gutting my shop of everything that could handle material over 6", and I am loathe to do that. I have coolant in my veins, and that is hard to get rid of. That is if you can find anyone who actually wants to get rid of it.

OK then, suppose I do want to take a stab at this. Where to I find my first clock, that I really can't hurt, either by working on it, or replacing the works in? eBay? Doesn't seem likely. Garage sales? Who knows. I wish I had pushed a little harder on that one person who called from Longview(who also told me there was no one there who worked on clocks) to get my hand on that one. I did check a little bit here in Tyler, and found only one vague reference to anyone who sounded like they might work on antique clocks. After getting going, I can see leaving info at other antique restorers places. Those we have quite a few of, but they are mostly into furniture. I also had a chance to repair/restore an antique sewing machine. Actually have one of those myself, but it works perfectly, so not much help there.

So I'm open to ideas as to how to approach this, from the methods and machinery to the marketing.....keep talking to me guys.

Back