Warner Swasey #4 Turret Lathe

Does anyone know the recommended way to move the turret base front and back (Side to side?) The way I do it works but it would be nice to know how the original operators did it. Just loosen the bolts and push it?

We hardly ever moved the turrets position. But made it a point to set the tools to extend out from the turret the same length if we could to make it easy to get a rhythm
When running parts. We tried to use the same handle on the turret as much as we could. Not important if only running a sort run of parts, but helps on long runs.
Jimsehr

I've got 2 master colletts for WS and no colletts pads. I've got one master collett for Gisholt and sadly again no colletts pads. I don't have any box turners for the bigger machines. I have a couple turrett mounted boring heads that I would sell. Lots of sleeves and taper adapters. Would like to get a set of collet pads. My Gisholt is pretty tired and needs lots of attention to be a functioning machine again. Tim

Tim . I will check and see what pads I've got. I think I would keep the boring heads . DO you have a W&S book with the specs of the turrets and turret tools? I see them on eBay often. You can also make soft pads and bore them to size you need.
Jimsehr

I do have a W&S tooling book that was graciously gifted to me. Pretty amazing what you can do. I'd have to go count I think I might have 5 or 6 boring heads. Tim

Tim
Can you post a pic of the boring heads. Are some of them quick acting? In fact it would be nice to see a pic of all your tooling.
Jimsehr

On the 3,4 &5's the turret (tailstock) gets moved into position and clamped in place then the turret is moved to cut with the spoked hand wheel. Tooling is around if you watch auctions, I have seen it go for next to nothing as these don't get used much anymore. I used to be a rebuilder and repair tech for W&S and Gisholt/G&L. I can probably answer some questions if you have them on operation and adjustment. Some modern tooling can be adapted to go on the turrets. I can recall in the later years we even had some tool holders made for customers that needed them. Its really just a plate with a locating ring on the back and 4 bolt holes then the front is just shaped to take whatever tool you need. The basic ones were just 3 different lengths of casting that held a variety of tools, from boring bars to die holders, drill holders etc.

sorry guy about tooling photos, I've got my home shop set up in a rental and just found out the place is sold and new owner wants me out..............

Tim

Back