Warner Swasey #4 Turret Lathe

I'm still learning to use her, and have collected and read multiple turret lathe texts.
I know I am under utilizing her potential.
I've gleaned some attachments, including multiple die heads.
3 Geometrics, all are different sizes. And 2 or 3 other die heads (from other manufactures), as well as dozens of other attachments.
My Gisholt didn't come with a collet closer or pads. Only a 3 and 4 jaw.
Near as I can tell the owner in the 1960s & 1970s was using her as an engine lathe.
Where she shipped to and how she was used in the 1930s is unknown.

For now chasers. However, after I get this current job out the door, and I can get back to my own stuff, I hope to revisit her and identify other hopes/needs.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,

I thought real hard about buying it. Decided since I don't own a turret lathe, I don't need it! I don't need anymore stuff! Glad you got it. Enjoy!

Ken

Learn to use a box tool. Also get as many slide heads as you can. I hope you have the master collet and collets with it. I even have a W&S collet setup that takes soft pads that can be bored to take parts up too 6 inch dia. This is on a #4 machine that takes 2 inch bar stock thru spindle. Wish I was younger, I would go get one again. I have some tooling but would have to look in my pile to see what I have left. I used to teach the new guys how to set them up. I started running them in 1952.
Jimsehr
My emai is jimatcf@hotmail.com

Last edited:
Copy box tool!
Wish I had a collet system. She is fit with a 4jaw. I also have a 3jaw.
The lever actuator for my Gisholt 5 is absent. I have a selection of very large Bardons & Oliver "Push" collets. But, as of yet have no way to hold them.
I have much reading to do.
Thanks for the tip on box tools. That's a place to start!

Daryl
MN

Daryl
If you have the collet pads to fit a turret lathe master collet you can bore a set of soft jaws to fit the collet pads. Then you can use the pads in your 3jaw chuck to hold square round or hex stock.

if you learn to use a box tool it is common to get a half inch depth of cut turning metal on a turret.
Jimsehr

Last edited:
Post a photo of your actual machine.

To answer your questions:

Speed: They are not all the same for example mine uses levers to change the gears and the chart on the side tells where to put the levers for each speed. Other ones use a different selector for speed. Even among #4 models they can be different.

To move the turret forward and back, the whole thing not the turret movement: There are 4 bolts on the bottom corners of the turret assembly. Loosen them. Not sure if it is the right way but here is how I move mine: Loosen those bolts, connect a stiff rod to the chuck area and clamp it down to the turret by screwing the main turret screw on top of it. Then use the turret itself to move the assembly forward and back. Tighten down the 4 bolts when it is in place. Need to move it closer to use it and back out of the way when not.

Mine:

IMAG0102.jpg

Back