Warner Swasey #4 Turret Lathe

Stanley40965

Registered
Registered
I'm the proud owner of a #4 Turret Lathe. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? I have some questions and am looking for some help. It was made in the early 40s. Thank you!

I have run many Warner & Swasey's in my early days of machining. I will help if I can. What do you need?

I've got a # 4 that I've been parting out...................Need anything?

I've got a # 4 that I've been parting out...................Need anything?
What do you have left? I'm mostly interested in the tooling. Most of what I got when I bought it is rusted badly. But I would like to see what you have left. Thank You!

Last edited:
I have run many Warner & Swasey's in my early days of machining. I will help if I can. What do...

Thank You! I've got lots of questions. You're probably going to regret responding to my post! Haha.

First- the tail stock, where the turret is, how do I move it? Is there an easy way to unclamp it?

Second- the speeds. I don't understand how to select how fast the chuck is spinning.

Please excuse my ignorance. And thank you again. I can post pictures and point at things if it helps.

Respectfully,
Ed

Pictures always help

your best bet is to find a manual also. It does help alot for locating things.

I use a #5 W&S turret every month or so to drill big holes in round stock before finishing lathe ops, a very powerful machine indeed.

I either turn stepped soft jaws or use the hard jaws turned around around which creates a step or pocket otherwise the turret feed will push the part right through the chuck every time. The WS 5 has a 5" spindle bore which comes in handy.

Way back in the dawn of time I ran several different SIZED W&S turret LATHES, even a few gizolts. Needless to say anybody who ever ran those machines were real men. I can still remember the workout they give you. Still I wouldn't have missed those years. The real trick of running turret LATHES is planning all you operations in the right order. Set the bar feeder if using it and your collets then your stop, after that depends on the part being made our shop had at least ten turret LATHES . We worked in cast iron steel and brass making valves . The lapping machine in the back of the shop made for a loud workplace. If you can get all the attachments for it you'll be able to rival a CNC for sure. Get some pictures you can do several operations at once compound feed and the turret at the same time by the time the compounds done the turret can two or three other operations. YUPP NO watching it cut TIMES money in a shop with a turret LATHE.

didn't get any tooling with the machine but have scored some over the years. It is best to know the operations that you intend to do and get tooling accordingly. Once you have a little tooling and if you have a mill, you can make a lot of the tooling that you may want. There are some good manuals out there that cover tooling, you might want to check with Giddings and Lewis I think they now own the rights: http://www.eicrepair.com/services/g...iAhJiidMqr3ICn7PHCwj97IPABRuVmyu9waAgWu8P8HAQ I am a collector hoarder and if you twist hard enough I might turn loose of some of my tooling

Back