Voice your opinion please .

What would you do ?

• Continue to unload equipment that won't fit into my available space .

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Purchase enclosed trailer to store 4 wheelers , Kubota FEL , zero turns , etc , etc , etc .

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Build 4 car garage on my small rancher and enjoy life .

Votes: 33 94.3%

• Total voters
I think you have two solutions. First, build a garage. That'll take 2 years, but it ain't getting done at this pace. While that's happening, buy a cargo container for the toys. I bought my container in 1997, and have moved it around as needed. Right now it's in Reno with a GTO in it. If you're storing quads, you could put them on dollies and slide them in sideways. You'll probably make a good use of space doing it, and have a durable, flexible storage solution for the future.

I believe I know him...……………….um …………………...them ! :big grin: They both have the same name coincidentally . :grin:

I own the land outright and have plenty of it
That my friend is a blessing. You made a wise decision.
I watched the series on Jimmy Diresta's up state NY shop build.
Now that is a shop. Weather tight, heat, plenty of light and power. (Made me all squirmy inside.)
Not to mention the country side is beautiful. I was able to spend some time in Va, West VA, PA, Mass. Early summer. BEAUTIFUL country. The winters are a bit long and harsh.

I believe I know him...……………….um …………………...them ! :big grin: They both have the same name coincidentally . :grin:
I imagine most of know him................um..................them.
There's one in particular that causes my wife to cringe when she finds out he's trolling for me. I keep telling her how much money he's saving us. (Can't understand why that doesn't make her happy.) Women.

My "vote" would be 40 foot containers. Up front 2 with shop space between. I did a design a few years back using aluminium trusses to span the gap. Later I found others were doing the same concept. Makes a great "temporary" industrial/construction work site. Roof and surround with roofing sheet metal. Seconds work well enough if you have access to them. A coat of paint and a tube of caulk will make anybody a good carpenter. Floor can be gravel until. . .

The containers can be locked down when they contain anything of value. Reasonably watertight until a roof over is built. Floor space would be confined by the 8 foot (m/l) width. But enough to store a fairly large tractor or 1 ton pickup. After the roof over, another 2 can be added outboard and even more behind to build a very large shop/storage space. Keep the "important" stuff in your garage. Parts and "indisposables" in deep storage with containers. Side doors cut into the central area make access easy enough.

Used containers are relatively cheap inextensive for a fully enclosed, lock-able "garage". The big issue is ground preparation and footings. They can be used like building blocks to assemble what suits you. Smaller (20 & 30 ft) containers can be had. But at essentially the same overall price, if the space is available, go full size from the git-go. I have seen them used individually on fairly small lots without roof overs for business storage.

Shipping containers are awesome, except.....

Zoning officials
Neighbors
Wives
Stuff wider than 8'

There are some really cool designs out there to be done with storage containers but the challenges are real.

Disclaimer, I don't own any of them although I used to have a 53' semi trailer for storage and built a 40 x 60 pole barn. When you own the land it makes a difference what structures are on it and storage containers definitely will not increase your (or your neighbors) property values.

John

I would build a shop, but knowing you, whatever size it is, you will fill it up. Now if you can fix that issue, you'll be styling :grin:

If building the shop doesn't interfere with marital bliss, build it. A trailer is risky, one thief can ruin your day. If you go with a trailer or even storage containers, get something in writing from your insurance company about what is covered and whether it is actual or replacement costs.

Back