Voice your opinion please .

What would you do ?

• Continue to unload equipment that won't fit into my available space .

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Purchase enclosed trailer to store 4 wheelers , Kubota FEL , zero turns , etc , etc , etc .

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Build 4 car garage on my small rancher and enjoy life .

Votes: 33 94.3%

• Total voters
I am currently looking at moving, and hope to find a 4 bay garage with an en-suite! There is a place that I hope it comes on the market, 2 workshops with a house.

Build the garage! It will be a selling point down the road no matter what happens. 9 foot ceilings, fully insulated and 240 volt service.
Pierre

I know what you have Jeff . I see it as the ultimate shop . The Colchester , the B&S 618 along with the Sharpe mill . The only thing missing is the Hardinge HLV-H ! :grin: Sorry , just my opionion , I'm not stating to you that you need to go out and get one ………………………….

only if ya need it ! ;)

My shop is in a container. There was no competition between add on to the garage vs buy and fit out the container; the container was far cheaper!

If you have bigger tools, think about two containers welded together. Or more! ;-)

This would be possible up on my property in NY but not where I live . I thought about containers for storing things up there . They are cheap and water tight , and hard to break into .

I maintain my family vehicles . Seems the brake jobs always appear in the dead of winter . I have a 2 car garage as is but it is jammed packed with machines of all types as well as the pleasure vehicles . There is absolutely no way to get the machine shop and wood shop going in the area . This would be a working area as well as some storage area . As far as financials , I have the cash sitting in an account getting .008 % . :big grin: I have zero debt , not concerned over the tax implifications . I charge my son the cost of taxes and insurance . We could use the space . The kids will eventually be the owners of both properties anyway .
It seems that you answered your own question. Go for it.

There was an old carriage house at my home that I turned into a shop. I made three 10’ sliding doors, one automatic, and I park the good car in that side, moving it out for woodworking and rearranging equipment for whatever process flow is needed.

I’m about to start a re-roofing project with standing seam metal to match the house, and rewire the patchwork electrical system.

I wish it was a 50’x60’ metal building, but we play the
cards we’re dealt.

Wow , that is schweeeeeeet ! :)

To the OP: Your first post doesn't include a bunch of important factors, so it's easy for us to spend Your money (that you may not have) and consume Your land (which you may not own) and tell you to build a bigger shop.

Without ALL the factors, these sort of threads are kind of a waste. A bit like asking "Where should we go for our honeymoon?", with no explanation of anything else...

I own the land outright and have plenty of it . These were all posted above in the first post . And I have no problem with other people spending my money , they do it all the time . :grin:

Back