Voice your opinion please .

What would you do ?

• Continue to unload equipment that won't fit into my available space .

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Purchase enclosed trailer to store 4 wheelers , Kubota FEL , zero turns , etc , etc , etc .

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Build 4 car garage on my small rancher and enjoy life .

Votes: 33 94.3%

• Total voters

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a definite space issue and I don't want to get rid of stuff ! :big grin:

I've considered all the choices , what do you think ? :dunno:

The rancher is a rental property . It is paid off in full and my son resides in it . I figure I could build that garage and write the whole darn thing off . Get a nice tax break and solve a lot of my space defiecency (sp) issues . It is only 100 ft away from my house , so traveling back and forth is not an issue .

Me too , but in this case it's mine ! :grin: But it would add value to the property as well as solve a major problem I have .

What would I do? None of the above as I have a 35 x 90 ft barn with a hay loft that will (and does) accommodate a lot of stuff. Lack of space will not be a reason for getting rid of equipment.

Now usable shop space is another matter. O have my Tormach 770, an RF30 clone, a 10 x22 lathe, a 6 x 18 lathe, drill press, 30" shear, pedestal grinder and horizontal band saw , along with a 7 ft workbench, rolling toolbox, and large desk all crammed into an 11 x 25 ft. space.

A surface grinder, a horizontal mill, and a shaper would be nice additions,but nowhere to put them. Fortunately. I do have several outbuildings that serve as a woodworking shop and a forge/welding shop but those spaces are totally unconditioned and not suitable for metalworking machinery.

The price of lumber has gone out of control but a garage is always a good investment. I just picked up 2 20 foot shipping containers to use as storage. I would build a larger garage but I already pay enough in property taxes.

As to what should you do, that's a different question. The answer will depend upon a variety of factors.

First and foremost is your financial situation. A 4 car garage suitable for use as an all weather workshop will be a significant investment.

Is your shop used as a source of income or merely as a personal hobby? It is a lot easier to justify capital expenditures when there is a return on investment.

How much surplus equipment do you need storage for? I've seen some interesting things done with shipping containers.

What about local ordinances, additional property taxes, etc.?

Would additional space be used as a working shop or simply for storage?

How attached are you to your surplus equipment? I tend to be reluctant to part with acquired equipment and would be considered a hoarder.

RJ, this is the land of opportunity. Since when was, financial situation, a reasonable consideration. :)
I'm kidding of course.
I too have limited space but it's a reasonable space. I have considered selling some stuff on Ebay but can't seem to let go of anything of value.
It's a sickness.
I get it Dave.
I also voted to move to the ranch and enjoy life.

I maintain my family vehicles . Seems the brake jobs always appear in the dead of winter . I have a 2 car garage as is but it is jammed packed with machines of all types as well as the pleasure vehicles . There is absolutely no way to get the machine shop and wood shop going in the area . This would be a working area as well as some storage area . As far as financials , I have the cash sitting in an account getting .008 % . :big grin: I have zero debt , not concerned over the tax implifications . I charge my son the cost of taxes and insurance . We could use the space . The kids will eventually be the owners of both properties anyway .

Back