VN-16 with quill at metal Scrapper in Garland Texas

Hey guys, new here on the forum. I joined specifically for a different thread regarding the spindles in a VN #12, and found this here as well. I think I might go take a look at this in person and see if I want to take it on as a project as well as a machine to put to work. Someone just gave me a #12 so I was thinking it would be neat to have both of them.

Best Regards,
Tools
Welcome aboard!

I hope you buy it. You can always sell it later, but I would sure hate to see it scrapped...

Cal

Please keep us posted!!!

Daryl
MN

Hey guys, new here on the forum. I joined specifically for a different thread regarding the spindles in a VN #12, and found this here as well. I think I might go take a look at this in person and see if I want to take it on as a project as well as a machine to put to work. Someone just gave me a #12 so I was thinking it would be neat to have both of them.

Best Regards,
Tools

Yes - let us know. I was in DFW for an AAU basketball tournament for my son when this was posted. I drove from Murphy to to the big Frye's by Garland. I could have slipped in and looked it over - but I did not check in here that week. - Lesson learned, check in every day.

I sure don't need another project to ignore but add me to the list of people that will take it before it gets scrapped. But someone who can restore it right away has a superior moral claim.

Well, after a long day of driving and dealing with traffic in the Dallas metroplex, I now have a second Van Norman. I have not had the chance to put power to it yet and probably wont for a few days, when I do you will get an update.

Considering that it was at a scrap yard I felt it was in dang good shape and not damaged from them moving it around... well it wasn't damaged until today. The forklift operator decided to grab it with the forks under the ram and there are now two dings in the dovetail that I will have to work out should I need to move the ram.

To clarify for the group a 16S weighed out at 2800lbs today at Garland Steel. And was sold at just under 0.40 $/lbs.

Attached you will find a pic of this 16S on my trailer right before I drove off as well as the #12 I picked up yesterday for the low price of "I dont want it any more, give it a good home."

I would like some clarification, this spindle nose has drive dogs like a CAT V flange so I assume it is the 40NST, however it seams small for a 40 size v-flange tool.

Best Regards,
Tools

FOTA73D.jpg20140807_181102.jpg

FOTA73D.jpg 20140807_181102.jpg

Thank you for the update and pics! I'm glad you are giving her a good home.

Well, after a long day of driving and dealing with traffic in the Dallas metroplex, I now have a second Van Norman. ...
Great news!

:hugethumbzup:

I'm glad you could give the old girl a home!

Cal

This is great news!
Please keep us updated on the restore.

Daryl
MN

This is awesome. I'm glad this forum gave us a place to gather and communicate the availability of a good machine.

Good luck and good fortune for you and her.

Evan R.

This is awesome. I'm glad this forum gave us a place to gather and communicate the availability of a good machine.

Good luck and good fortune for you and her.

Evan R.

And a huge thanks to you for spotting her!

Cal

I would lay pretty good odds that it's a 30 standard taper. My 16S has a 30. Congratulations on your acquisition. I have an Lagun FTV-1 and a couple horizontal mills and I use the VN more than any of them. Having a quill is a deal maker. Not much travel, but you can handle shallow boring jobs and poking holes. Solid as a rock, you'll love it.
Jeff

Well, after a long day of driving and dealing with traffic in the Dallas metroplex, I now have a second Van Norman. I have not had the chance to put power to it yet and probably wont for a few days, when I do you will get an update.

Considering that it was at a scrap yard I felt it was in dang good shape and not damaged from them moving it around... well it wasn't damaged until today. The forklift operator decided to grab it with the forks under the ram and there are now two dings in the dovetail that I will have to work out should I need to move the ram.

To clarify for the group a 16S weighed out at 2800lbs today at Garland Steel. And was sold at just under 0.40 $/lbs.

Attached you will find a pic of this 16S on my trailer right before I drove off as well as the #12 I picked up yesterday for the low price of "I dont want it any more, give it a good home."

I would like some clarification, this spindle nose has drive dogs like a CAT V flange so I assume it is the 40NST, however it seams small for a 40 size v-flange tool.

Best Regards,
Tools

View attachment 81607View attachment 81608

Back