VN-16 with quill at metal Scrapper in Garland Texas

Yeah, I thought it would be a steep price for a 58 year old machine.

I'll keep shopping her around. If she comes home with me, well, that it just be fine.

Evan R.

I've confirmed a fork at my end and a dry barn with a solid floor for her to wait out the winter.
I've grouped the cash for the machine. And am hoping for a deal on freight.

I'm concerned that I will have more invested than she will ever be worth monetarily.
I'm working on the freight.

It would be so much easier if someone swooped in and scored her before I committed!

Daryl
MN

Very tempting, it would be cheaper than fixing my V12 spindle. But I run the risk of another project that I don't have time for.

Devon

I have a 16S and it's spindle in 30 NMTB. I've been around a few VN 16's and all of them were either 30 or 5V never saw a 40 taper in a VN that small. What are the chances of them parting it out the rest of the way? I sure could use the overarm support and possibly the down feed controls.
Jeff

They were pretty clear when they told me to not take tools back that they were not interested in parting machines out.

They were pretty clear when they told me to not take tools back that they were not interested in parting machines out.

I get that. These old machines deserve to be kept whole, if possible. Parting out should be the very last step before feeding the furnace.

I get that. These old machines deserve to be kept whole, if possible. Parting out should be the very last step before feeding the furnace.

Are they keeping it whole in hopes that someone will buy it to restore, or are they keeping it whole because it's more convenient to dump it in the furnace in one piece?

It doesn't sound like they are too interested in selling, at least at that price. I live not far from Cleveland, lots of industrial surplus. The most I've ever seen a Van Norman was a Model 38 with a pallet of tooling, 1200.00 and it was immaculate. Guess it depends on where you're located. But the 16S in the OP was missing some parts already and if you think hen's teeth are a tough find, give 16S parts a try. I've been looking for ten years for parts, a manual, heck anything for a 16S and have had zero luck. The manual for a 16 and 16S are different, 1RQ is about as close as I've gotten and that isn't all that helpful. It's a great piece of equipment, I hope it won't end up as a ingot.

It doesn't sound like they are too interested in selling, at least at that price. I live not far from Cleveland, lots of industrial surplus. The most I've ever seen a Van Norman was a Model 38 with a pallet of tooling, 1200.00 and it was immaculate. Guess it depends on where you're located. But the 16S in the OP was missing some parts already and if you think hen's teeth are a tough find, give 16S parts a try. I've been looking for ten years for parts, a manual, heck anything for a 16S and have had zero luck. The manual for a 16 and 16S are different, 1RQ is about as close as I've gotten and that isn't all that helpful. It's a great piece of equipment, I hope it won't end up as a ingot.

Solid advice.
Thank you Jeff.

Daryl
MN

Hey guys, new here on the forum. I joined specifically for a different thread regarding the spindles in a VN #12, and found this here as well. I think I might go take a look at this in person and see if I want to take it on as a project as well as a machine to put to work. Someone just gave me a #12 so I was thinking it would be neat to have both of them.

Best Regards,
Tools

Back