VN-16 with quill at metal Scrapper in Garland Texas

Junkmaster

Active User
Registered
Hello All,

I was making my way through Garland Steel and Recycling this morning when I came across a Van Norman 16 in the back shed. It hasn't been there more than a few months. I took some pictures in case anyone is interested.
SN: 4068 8-56

I could be talked into brokering the deal and crating/shipping it to someone if they really wanted the machine send me a PM if interested.
I would buy it myself but I currently have a glut of mills needing to be cleaned up and made runnable. If it is still there in December it will probably follow me home.

The bed looked to be scar fee, but it was dark, I didn't have my glasses and it was covered in a layer of oily dust.

Sorry the pictures are not great, I'm an amateur at photography...

Evan R.

Front_Reduced.jpgTopOfSpindle_Reduced.jpgRightSide_Reduced.jpgNamePlate_SerialNumber_Reduced.jpg

Front_Reduced.jpg TopOfSpindle_Reduced.jpg RightSide_Reduced.jpg NamePlate_SerialNumber_Reduced.jpg

Hello All,

I was making my way through Garland Steel and Recycling this morning when I came across a Van Norman 16 in the back shed. It hasn't been there more than a few months. I took some pictures in case anyone is interested.
SN: 4068 8-56

I could be talked into brokering the deal and crating/shipping it to someone if they really wanted the machine send me a PM if interested.
I would buy it myself but I currently have a glut of mills needing to be cleaned up and made runnable. If it is still there in December it will probably follow me home.

The bed looked to be scar fee, but it was dark, I didn't have my glasses and it was covered in a layer of oily dust.

Sorry the pictures are not great, I'm an amateur at photography...

Evan R.

View attachment 79983View attachment 79984View attachment 79985View attachment 79986

Thanks for posting that. It's a 16S. They didn't make very many of those. Hopefully someone will pick it up. It would be a shame if it got scrapped.

Cal

Last edited:
Junk,

grab the darned thing. You can sell it on Ebay. Those are nice.

:yourock::yourock:

Junk,

grab the darned thing. You can sell it on Ebay. Those are nice.

:yourock::yourock:

Those are my thoughts!
But, I'm also trying to figure out how much it will cost to get to MN.

Daryl
MN

It's not the universal table model. The No. 16S was available with either a Van Norman 'C' (aka Hardinge 5V) or an NMTB 40 spindle. A No. 16 weighs 2300 Lbs; a 16S probably weighs at least 2500 lbs.

Cal

It's not the universal table model. The No. 16S was available with either a Van Norman 'C' (aka Hardinge 5V) or an NMTB 40 spindle. A No. 16 weighs 2300 Lbs; a 16S probably weighs at least 2500 lbs.

Cal

I'm pleased to hear that some take NMTB 40. One of the VN sites mentions 40NST.
I couldn't find anything on 40NST.
I've got a nice mix of 5V collets and arbors for my VN6.
I was half hoping the 16s would take the 50V collets, as I have a box full of them without a mill.

Thanks for clarify the Universal question.
I've never used one, the pics didn't match up. But, I wasn't sure.

Daryl
MN

Here are some more photosKneeMotorPlacard.jpgTableFromRight_Reduced.jpgTableFromLeft_Reduced.jpgSpindleMotorPlackard_Reduced.jpg

The details on cost:
45 Cents a pound.
Will load on your trailer for free.

Review of Machine:
The management would not let me take tools into the building. Evidently someone in the past had removed key parts of machinery, which made the machinery worth much less. If they are selling it for scrap, I don't know how you lower the value. It was their place so I followed the rules. Also, the machine is sold where is, as is. First come, first served. No warranty of any kind.

The Elevation crank for Knee is not present.
All other handles are present and not broken.
I could shift the spindle speed selector and spin the spindle to see the belt move the motor.
I tried loosening the over arm support to remove the horizontal arbor but I couldn't get it to budge. This means I could not confirm the spindle type.
I could shift all the other levers to some degree. All this means is they are not rusted together. I was unable to confirm any function.
I could engage the feed table feed lever, and the table wouldn't move by hand.
I could move the table to limit of the stops. I could not go to the stop on the right because of stuff on the right blocked the movement.
I felt and looked at the belt on the spindle motor, it was not dried and cracked.

It is dusty, dirty, oily.

For shipment purposes, measurements are approximate, no micrometer was harmed in the taking of these measurements:

Base is 27" wide by 37" deep. Bolt holes are 24 3/4" by 28 1/8"

Machine width:
Tip of left handle to tip of right handle: 56"
If handles are removed: 52"
If table is removed, same width as base: 27"

Machine Depth:
Full Depth: 48"
Remove Handle: 46 1/2"

Machine Height:
Full Height: 73"
Remove Motor: 58"
Remove Ram: 50"

My Opinion (yeah I got one of those too).
If the machine really weight 2500 pounds that would make it 0.45 * 2500 = $1125.00.
If you want a machine project for the fun of rebuilding a machine, this machine would be fine. It appears to be in reasonable shape.
Like I said earlier, if the machine is still there in December, I'll probably pick it up as my next project. Unfortunately my shop run-eth over with projects right now.
If you want a machine to start making parts, this is a bit risky.
If you need a machine to start making parts so you can feed baby, this is really risky.

I'm not out to make any money on this deal. I'll pickup, palatalize, and ship to you for the cost. We will work out the costs a head of time.
I have never palatalized or shipped a machine before, so I'll have to ramp up on the process.

Just hate to see a Van Norman scrapped.

Evan R.
P.S.
For those still interested I have a short video of the machine. It's 88 megabytes.
I've never done a video online before so I don't know how to get it small enough to post here.
I can make it available via FTP. Send me a message, I'll send you the link.

KneeMotorPlacard.jpg TableFromRight_Reduced.jpg TableFromLeft_Reduced.jpg SpindleMotorPlackard_Reduced.jpg

My Wife rolled her eyes and smiled.

Based on my communications with random freight companies I'm looking at $1000-$1200 for freight to MN.
That puts her at around $2400 to get her to MN.
Plus rehab. Unknown expense.
This would be a reach, given her vital signs.

If you hear that she is going to the scrapper before you are ready to receive, then I'll make her happen.
Even short notice.
Like you, I'd like to avoid losing her to scrap.

Please contact me should she be in jeopardy!

Thank you for doing the footwork.

Daryl
MN

Back