VFD's: Huanyang (eBay) vs AC-Tech SMVector, Teco, Hitachi, etc...beyond 3hp

I'm sure AC Tech brand is a lot better bargain than some Chinese made drive on eBay. AC Tech is built in Massachusetts. AC Tech is owned by a German company.

I've already bought 2 AC Tech VFD's for a greatly reduced price. Unsure if the Chicom ones are nearly as good but frankly, don't care for the low prices I paid (actually was 1/2 of Chicom prices). Having worked flawlessly, I couldn't be happier.

Configured the heck out of them....even set up an entire remote control panel for 1 of them with customized features including variable speed (is single speed belt-drive), spin-up/slowdown modification, E-Stop w/abrupt slowdown, and Jog. I even calibrated the vector compensation and can Jog a belt-driven milling machine @ 3Hz/86rpm so that I no longer have to turn the pulley by hand to find the R8 keyway mark.

Only thing left to do is figure out how to connect a remote display; I have the display on the VFD itself calibrated to represent the RPM of the machine...but I cant see it since it's in an enclosure. I've got room left on the panel for a small LED display and spare cabling to carry a signal...but just don't know what type of LED display I need and how to program the VFD to output the values.

Any help?

Last edited:
ESV112N02YXB
ESV152N02YMC

If you're ready the entire thread, I know that neither of these are capable of the power I initially quoted; I am on the hunt for an up-to 5hp 3 phase lathe and wanted to get my info in place so I could find an appropriate VFD during my search. The 2 VFD's above are used for smaller motors.

I know that AC Tech sells a 'remote panel' for these but that's not what I want; As stated earlier, I've got control panel already built with all of the functionality I want...only thing missing is a LED to tell me what the current (estimated) RPM is.

FWIW - I know the VFD can't actually measure RPM but you can change the display to output approx. RPM and you need to figure out the conversation value to get it to be representative. I initially estimated what I thought the compensation value should be...then dialed it in with a optical RPM gauge. Results are quite good...no more than 1-2% out across the entire RPM range (no-load).

Choice for 5Hp single phase input is quite limited. Other than the Haunyang VFD version, AC Tech and Lenze include single phase input for this Hp. Both make good VFDs according to others, I currently use Hitachi.
AC Tech (Lenze) SFC series SF250Y 208/240 Volt 1 or 3 Phase input HP = 5 KW=4.0 Current Output 17.5 Must be the Y version, the SF250 is 3 phase input only
Leeson SM Plus IP20 VFD 200-240V 1&3PH INPUT Hp = 5 Manufacturer Part Number:174444.00
Price is $600-700 vs the Haunyang $225

If it is a hobby, then the Haunyang may work just fine, but having done a recent install with one, I am unimpressed by the build quality and long term durability.

Correct on the VFD display of RPM, but it is scalable so you could calibrate the RPM and you know the nameplate RPM at 60Hz. I am not sure if the accuracy improves using the sensorless vector mode and also some of the motor adjustment parameters. Not that a few % matters. It may be cheaper (and easier) to buy an inexpensive (~$15) RPM display that works off a hall or optical sensor as the VFD displays are soldered to the board these days.

Last edited:
I have several brands of VFD currently in use, including Siemens, EuroDrive, Telecamit and another that escapes me right now. Then there are four Hunayang and 3 HengTai's (MUCH cheaper than Hunayang), Two of the Huanyangs are 3kW / 4HP and I've used them for maybe five or six years regularly. None have ever failed. I've fitted the missing circuit components for braking resitors and fitted exernal resistors for emergency stops to both of them.
Hope that helps in your decision.

Hi folks

I seen this topic covered before on an 'academic' basis...but I was looking for feedback on a more practical level.

I use VFDs for smaller stuff (1-3 horse, TECOs, they're fine and an easy, low-cost solution). But when I get to a spot where the manufacturer of the VFD wants me to do something I can't -like supply 3 phase power- it seems to me that a reasonable approach is to swap out the motor. Especially since a) the cost is about the same, if not less; b) I'm not trying to improvise; and c) I can actually supply what the motor says it wants on the nameplate.

A 5 hp, capacitor start capacitor run motor from WEG (US manufacturer, labelled assembled in Mexico) will cost around 250 bucks... The one I have on my compressor pulls 21 amps at 220V, single phase with a claimed 82-85% efficiency - so it's really 5 horse at the shaft, not some uprated fantasy from Sears. That's a 3450 rpm motor, targeted to compressors. 1740 rpm units are available, cost in the $500 range.

There are some arguments about "balanced" motors on lathes; maybe that was an issue in 1940, but today probably not. Size could be an issue, but that's easily identified and likely fixable. What, if any, other reasons are there not to do a motor swap instead of trying to make a VFD work?

There are multiple reasons for keeping the original 3 phase motor; some people think keeping the 3 phase is beyond them and thats ok...but getting rid of it is not the optimal choice.

Topic has gotten much off topic and my outstanding question re: adding an external LED display to the AC Tech's I bought has gone un-answered. I'll start a new thread solely on that topic and consider this topic CLOSED.

I use VFDs for smaller stuff (1-3 horse, TECOs, they're fine and an easy, low-cost solution). But when I get to a spot where the manufacturer of the VFD wants me to do something I can't -like supply 3 phase power- it seems to me that a reasonable approach is to swap out the motor. Especially since a) the cost is about the same, if not less; b) I'm not trying to improvise; and c) I can actually supply what the motor says it wants on the nameplate.

A 5 hp, capacitor start capacitor run motor from WEG (US manufacturer, labelled assembled in Mexico) will cost around 250 bucks... The one I have on my compressor pulls 21 amps at 220V, single phase with a claimed 82-85% efficiency - so it's really 5 horse at the shaft, not some uprated fantasy from Sears. That's a 3450 rpm motor, targeted to compressors. 1740 rpm units are available, cost in the $500 range.

There are some arguments about "balanced" motors on lathes; maybe that was an issue in 1940, but today probably not. Size could be an issue, but that's easily identified and likely fixable. What, if any, other reasons are there not to do a motor swap instead of trying to make a VFD work?[/QUOTE

Your questions were addressed. The means to provide a remote display is with the SCF remote display/keypad AC Tech part number 844-200, there is no remote display without the keypad. Some VFDs do have a removable control panel, but you would need to take apart your VFD to see if this is doable and purchase/make a cable adapter depending on the VFD you are using.

As stated earlier, wasn't entirely interest in the AC Tech part.

I've heard mention that you can output the display signal from the VFD and display it remotely using a 3rd party LED display; of course, it would have to meet certain specifications/configuration to work correctly and require it's own power source. I'm not aware of those specifications and if someone has an exact part number w/config steps, that would be a wonderful thing to have.

If this is urban legend, then I've been chasing in vain and would have to either add the AC Tech part...or live without it. I really don't like the membrane-based buttons on the AC Tech part as I've already installed 2-ways switches, variable potentiometer w/scale & knob, resettable E-stop button, momentary Jog button and indicator bulb in the control panel I built.

Your questions were addressed. The means to provide a remote display is with the SCF remote display/keypad AC Tech part number 844-200, there is no remote display without the keypad. Some VFDs do have a removable control panel, but you would need to take apart your VFD to see if this is doable and purchase/make a cable adapter depending on the VFD you are using.

Back