VFD Variable frequency drives

Yes, these things come up at 400hz. that's the default for the little CNC spindles they are often used on. First thing is to set Pn03=2 and Pn32=6. That will give you a sane-ish 50hz starting point.

I have two different grounding schemes; one a star, the other two daisychain. How you do it really doesn't matter as long as you don't create a loop. The manual has pictures. For my first installation, I just ran a ground wire out of the outlet box and connected it to the old grounding point in the machine's main fuse/disconnect For the other two, I stacked the ground wires on the earth lug of the VFD. I had read that some had issues with the room for wires. I used the appropriate non-insulated #8 rings crimped and then touched with solder. Unlike other hardware, these screws come right out making the rings easier than the more common forks. So it was just a matter of setting the two ground lugs back to back and runnng the screw in. I used 12ga for the two and 10ga for the latest.

It is unfortunate that both the mains earth (to borrow a term) and the control signal common both got labeled "ground" in Americanese. This causes endless problems in the automotive world.

I do not use the DC braking feature, and have no braking resistor. I do, however, use a pretty aggressive down ramp on the lathe and mill. I'm a little skittish of powering them down all the way to 0hz, so I drag them down from 60hz to 10hz in three seconds, then drop power and let them coast the last little bit.

Back