VFD Variable frequency drives

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the HY crowd, I hate resorting to Chinese manufacture, but my income/hobby expense ratio veers sharply toward China. I have 3 machines powered by HY Vfd's, and I've never had a problem with any, the biggest being a 5hp from single phase conversion on a monarch 10ee lathe. Even at extremely low speed, the drive has a tremendous amount of torque. The manual isn't very hard to decipher either, at least for basic programming needed on a shop machine. Don't hesitate at going this route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 4 VFD's 3 of them are Teco and one is Huanyang. The Huanyang works but I would NOT buy another one. Besides the things that that others have mentioned and a few things that bugged me and make me really wonder about the things under the covers that I can't see. On mine the terminals for wires are not sized large enough to fit wires of the recommended size for the current the VFD is rated for. I was able to eventually squeeze the wires in but just barely. The screws used for the wire terminals are made out of some kind of silly putty metal. I don't have a Oscilloscope but I suspect the output waveforms are ugly since it was necessary to really crank up the carrier frequency to eliminate noise from the motor, the same motor worked fine at lower carrier frequencies with a Teco VFD. (Using a higher carrier frequency eliminates noise but causes the motor and VFD to run hotter). The only good thing that I see about the Huanyang VFD's is the price. I personally will not be buying any more.

I just put a TECO L510 on my new Logan lathe. Purchased from Wolf Automation for right around $140. Why did I go with the TECO? Plain and simple, for what I wanted to do (control wise) it supplied the clearest instructions (I was reading instructions before purchase). I really did not do much for controls ... just used the current Forward-Off-Reverse drum switch to control the VFD ... but it was pretty well described in the documentation. I may ad Jog and E-stop down the road ... but even that appears pretty straightforward.

So far so good, the 53 year old motor is turning quite nicely. I turned the carrier freq. up just a bit to eliminate a bit of the noise.

All my machines have Lenze SMvector's on them. The last one that I purchased was a used one from Radwell International in NJ. $100 and they guarantee it, which is 1/3 of the price of a new one. Lenze's tech support is the best if you have questions in programming them.

I have been ordering my stuff from automationtechnologiesinc.com. They are located in Illinois. I'm in Michigan and I get the stuff the next day. Their prices and shipping are extremely reasonable. I also buy from cnc4pc.com located in Florida. Very nice vendors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both Teco and Huanyang VFD's, All work fine, I concur the comments about the HY having undersized lugs. the problem is you need to use spade terminals but the US sized ones are a little too wide to fit properly as its probably designed for metric terminals. So I had to grind em slightly... no biggie.

The VFD came today and read everything it had with it and one thing has me confused. Wiring it up to all the diagrams, no where does it show the ground for the input power. I finally opened the box up an pulled the VFD out and looked at the power input and output and there in the middle is the ground. I'll be in the shop trying it out tonight. I'll take some pics.
Nelson

Last edited:
Which VFD? The TECO L510 had 2 ground terminals protruding from the case ... I think between the main and control terminal strips.

It will show an earth icon, a bunch of squiggly lines.

I thought I had it in the thread but looking back I did not. Here it is and yes it has a ground between the input and the output terminals. Last night I was not supposed to work on it. My younger brother called then the power went out. One of them things that happen this time of year with all the heat. Went to bed early around 9 o'clock, early for me.
I got out early and wired it up and had to rewire the motor to low voltage then everything worked very well. I do not have any experience with VFD but I will say for a hundred dollars you can not go wrong. If it last now I will be a happy camper.
Here is the unit I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262955366802 and 3 pictures of it.
The only thing I did not like is it does not have the knob to adjust the speed but I'll have that on the machine panel.

2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE   1.jpg

2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE  3.jpg

2.2KW 220V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE 2.jpg

Back