VFD Variable frequency drives

I learned during the install of my VFD that the control side ground was not common to the power side ground.

Bob
I saw the control side ground but there is no way to attach a big wire to it. I already figured it out by opening the VFD and looking. It does not show it on diagrams in the booklet but was obvious when I looked. Now I need to set up the machine panel to operate it. One nice thing about this one you can go from forward to reverse without stopping and love that low speed. Another question, at the low speeds does it still maintain the torque?

Bob
I saw the control side ground but there is no way to attach a big wire to it. I already figured it out by opening the VFD and looking. It does not show it on diagrams in the booklet but was obvious when I looked. Now I need to set up the machine panel to operate it. One nice thing about this one you can go from forward to reverse without stopping and love that low speed. Another question, at the low speeds does it still maintain the torque?
The wiring on the control side has low voltage and very little current. It is only for sending signals. 22 gauge wire is enough for them. That is why the ground connection is small.

Need help
I am looking to buy a VFD and I need your help on a good one and not a dud. Anyone that has experience and maybe a good supplier would be very helpful.
What I wast to do is run a 3 phase mill on single phase power.
Thanks for all the help
Nelson

Nelson, I've had nothing but good experiences with Dealers Electric in New Jersey. I've bought VFD's and motors from them any no problems and they're nice guys who will answer all your questions. They did for me with nary a fit.

Hi Nelson,
Just about everything these days seems to be made in China, or has parts from there. I think the problem arises is that everything is built to a price point, so it is not as much where it is made but how it is made and the QC. I have become a little more jaded on buying some things direct from China through eBay, as it is impossible to return (due to the shipping cost) and essentially no technical support should you have a problem. The Teco VFDs are very good, I have heard of one individual that had some problems with an L510 not working well with his mill motor, the Teco N3 has been around for a long time and is very similar to the Automation Direct G3, both which are very good. Many of us have used the Hitachi VFDs (WJ200), I have not heard of a problem or failure. The programing on many of these VFDs can be a bit daunting, but not so hard once you get started. If you don't know or have question just ask and I am sure we can help. I understand the cost issues, so if the budget is limited, then the HY is hard to beat, especially if the money is tight. It is a learning process of knowing the different features and just buyer beware. I think a VFD adds a lot of features and controls, and at fairly reasonable cost at the 3Hp and smaller size.

Drive Warehouse has free shipping on their VFDs, I have purchased quite a few from them and they tend to have the lowest pricing. They also extend the manufactures warranties to a total of 3 years for drives, although I have yet to see a major brand VFD fail in this time frame.
Mark

Mark
I pay with PayPal and they take care of all problems, but I've found the Chinese dealers want a squeaky clean record and will bend over backward to get it. But for a hundred dollars how can you go wrong?
Nelson
Teco/Westinghouse is a china builder too.

I just installed one of these on my 15" Sheldon rebuild. Took a while to go thru some of the parameters to get it running like I wanted it to run. First time I turned it on, it went to full 400 hertz, which was almost 8000 rpm on my 5 hp motor! I shut it off before any damaged was done to the headstock of the lathe. So before you hit the on switch, go thru the setting parameters and get them right before flipping the switch. There's a good thread here on the setting parameters and what to set them to. So far, I'm satisfied with the VFD.

I just installed one of these on my 15" Sheldon rebuild. Took a while to go thru some of the parameters to get it running like I wanted it to run. First time I turned it on, it went to full 400 hertz, which was almost 8000 rpm on my 5 hp motor! I shut it off before any damaged was done to the headstock of the lathe. So before you hit the on switch, go thru the setting parameters and get them right before flipping the switch. There's a good thread here on the setting parameters and what to set them to. So far, I'm satisfied with the VFD.
Yes, the factory settings are usually WAY different than what you want for your machine... Caveat Emptor!

There is less of a need of an external braking resistor on a mill, but I have heard of people tripping the VFD when turning down the speed rapidly.

I have this issue on my mill using a TECO that does not allow use of an external braking resistor. I have to VERY SLOWLY reduce the speed or I get an error requiring a complete shutdown of the VFD to clear. Even on a mill I think you need the braking resistor feature.

The mill is a Jet variable speed, 3hp, 9x49.

I have this issue on my mill using a TECO that does not allow use of an external braking resistor. I have to VERY SLOWLY reduce the speed or I get an error requiring a complete shutdown of the VFD to clear. Even on a mill I think you need the braking resistor feature.

The mill is a Jet variable speed, 3hp, 9x49.
I think your problem is more likely two separate parameters that are set so they interfere with each other. Go through the various settings checking them and thinking about your issue and how they interact. You will probably find it.

Ha All,
Got the mill cleaned up and went through the spindle before powering it up. Had very good luck with the VFD. Went through the instruction and followed them, everything went good. I have on big question and well what about the ground on the machine? When I get the machine on the wall where I want it I would like to ground it. Any help, very much appreciated.
Nelson

Back