Vfd for an old 3hp lathe

Turns out there are fake Huanyang vfds out there. Less capacitance, no current sensors, less robust components. I wonder if the complaints are on fakes....

Turns out there are fake Huanyang vfds out there. Less capacitance, no current sensors, less robust components. I wonder if the complaints are on fakes....
Yes there are always fakes at a lower price, but not really accurate, the VFD's for HY are sold factory direct on Amazon "Sold by Huanyang Electrical". Read the reviews, they are pretty dismal. I just replaced one that died on a friends lathe and switched it out to a GS20. Replacement worked like a charm, and now the lathe actually can brake to a stop. At the end of the day you can believe what you want.

Yes there are always fakes at a lower price, but not really accurate, the VFD's for HY are sold factory direct on Amazon "Sold by Huanyang Electrical". Read the reviews, they are pretty dismal. I just replaced one that died on a friends lathe and switched it out to a GS20. Replacement worked like a charm, and now the lathe actually can brake to a stop. At the end of the day you can believe what you want.
4 stars on the one I'm looking at. Pretty bad.
I saw two videos that detail the differences. You are strangely desperate that I spend more money than I have for this project. I'm looking at the GT series for a small increase in cost. Apparently they give more torque at low speed.

Last edited:
4 stars on the one I'm looking at. Pretty bad.
I saw two videos that detail the differences. You are strangely desperate that I spend more money than I have for this project. I'm looking at the GT series for a small increase in cost. Apparently they give more torque at low speed.
The 12-2 and 10-2 wire arrived. I think I have a plug so I can disconnect the vfd for service. The 12-2 will be nice to have for additional 120v outlets. Especially for my saws.

I will not order the vfd until I have the lathe and read the plate myself. It's not so easy to get to until I get it home.

The lathe is lag bolted to two thick boards so I'm planning on using those as skids to winch it up onto a tilt bed car hauler. The machine moving skates are in that will make it fairly easy to maneuver to the edge of the concrete.

It's in place.

20240317_174025.jpg

This is the actual motor plate.

20240317_171327.jpg

This was on the main power cutoff. Obviously the motor was changed considering it has a Westinghouse motor and a GE cutoff.

20240317_171800.jpg

I'm planning on buying a 4kw/5hp rated vfd and setting it properly to run the 2 hp motor. I'm probably going to order this evening.

Anything on the motor stand out?

Just a thought, my Hitachi WJ-200-022SF VFD drives my PM1440GT 3HP motor just fine. Hitachi rates this as a 2.2KW VFD. This maybe considerably cheaper than getting a bigger VFD. Probably the greatest load that lathe motor sees is on startup (huge chuck, gears, etc). Once things are all spinning the load (current draw) should be a lot less. However, unlike just turning on the power switch and having a huge surge of current into the motor windings, the VFD starts the motor up via an acceleration ramp with controlled current. Hence, the sudden start up torque/load should not be as bad.

Just a thought, my Hitachi WJ-200-022SF VFD drives my PM1440GT 3HP motor just fine. Hitachi rates this as a 2.2KW VFD. This maybe considerably cheaper than getting a bigger VFD. Probably the greatest load that lathe motor sees is on startup (huge chuck, gears, etc). Once things are all spinning the load (current draw) should be a lot less. However, unlike just turning on the power switch and having a huge surge of current into the motor windings, the VFD starts the motor up via an acceleration ramp with controlled current. Hence, the sudden start up torque/load should not be as bad.
The vfd I'm looking at will start up without exceeding fla and runs off single phase without the requirement to supply double the single phase amps of the 3 phase fla.

Does the Hitachi do that?

I'm going 4 kw/5hp so I have the extra capacity for projects down the road. The cost is $175 plus tax.

I'm willing to look at the Hitachi but I'm not sure it won't cost considerably more than the lathe it will be running.

requirement to supply double the single phase amps

No, I am sure the Hitachi is cost more than that. Drives warehouse says $372. I think I paid about this amount for mine and that was a few years ago.

With respect to the amperage I think this is just the difference between 3 phase and 1 phase, not simply the VFD. In addition, There is efficiency and phase factors. For three phase I think there is a factor of Square root of 3= 1.73.... between the 220 single phase amperage and the three phase amperage. Check out a calculator: https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/3-phase-motor-amperage I think this is a fundamental of physics.

Power = I*V for single phase and I think I*V/1.73.. for three phase. This factor comes from the ideal phase difference between the legs of the 3 phases.

If some VFD literature says otherwise I would be leery of it.

Vfd is ordered. Huanyang GT series 4kw/5hp. I made an offer and got it for $150.

The manufacturer said this:
GT technology is advanced and adopts DSP vector control. When applied to 60HZ motors, there will be significant differences compared to the HY series. The main difference is that there is greater torque when the motor is at low speed..
If your motor is 400Hz, then you can purchase the HY series is enough.

Back