Using The Mill As A "bandsaw"

Enco is better quality, Jet even better. But most everyone can walk into a nearby HF store, while the other guys are most likely freighted in

2 Newbee questions:
I have some 1/8" steel plate about 10" square. I want to cut it into 1" strips. I am thinking that I can clamp is down to the mill table with the cut line over a slot and use a 3/16" end mill and the powered x axis to make my cuts. What do you think???
I have a PM940PDF and have an awful time tramming it. I bought a spindle square (Edge Technology) and it works like a charm, BUT the mill head moves around as I try to tighten it. I am trying to design some kind of device to allow me to rotate the head with a screw to keep it from moving. Bridgeport has a worm screw. Lathe tailstock has opposing set screws. Has anyone done this.
I am jealous when I see a flycuttter used on a well trammed machine.

Just a thought on the tramming part. If you snug up the bolts with a little pressure, I would think you could tap the mill to
trueness with a hammer and then finish tightening the bolts. I keep a lead hammer handy all the time for just that purpose.
It's also great for truing up the vise and positioning metal in the vise.

I'd buy the 1" strip and cut it with my HF angle grinder with metal cutting wheel. Then just sand or mill the ends square if needed.

This this guy got resurrected, ive been looking at the enco bandsaw

Can anyone suggest blades to cut 6061AL /without/ gumming up like crazy? wax on a sawzall sort of does the job but we're talking 1" plates and I don't want to spend half an hour on every cut.

This is my small benchtop unit. Unit is miles away at moment, so cant pop outside and take a foto of the jig I made to run it as a vertical unit. Not cheap tho, about $600 AUD a few years ago when I purchased it. Gets used heaps every day.

The bigger floor mount can open up to 300 odd mm, so if desperate can cut a couples of strips off some small bits of plate. However sure wouldnt sit there and do a heap if I could just pick it up off the shelf. Have cheated on thicker plate and put it vertical in the bandsaw vise. Hold offcut with some vise grips to reduce chatter.
This unit runs coolant and has got a round wire brush that helps knock crap out of the blade teeth.

The small portaband I take out on the job isnt much chop for anything but the 1/2 inch rod I cut with it.

garrick bands 1.jpg

"Just for ha-ha's jatt, what kind and wot price? "
Sorry missed this one.
Portaband -- Millwalkee Couple of hundred
Benchtop --- Garrick
Floor mount -- Just some Chinese knockoff. Over a grand

2 Newbee questions:
I have some 1/8" steel plate about 10" square. I want to cut it into 1" strips. I am thinking that I can clamp is down to the mill table with the cut line over a slot and use a 3/16" end mill and the powered x axis to make my cuts. What do you think???
I have a PM940PDF and have an awful time tramming it. I bought a spindle square (Edge Technology) and it works like a charm, BUT the mill head moves around as I try to tighten it. I am trying to design some kind of device to allow me to rotate the head with a screw to keep it from moving. Bridgeport has a worm screw. Lathe tailstock has opposing set screws. Has anyone done this.
I am jealous when I see a flycuttter used on a well trammed machine.
Maybe set up in the vise and cut it with a slitting saw. I've done what you're contemplating, but it's labor intensive.

Back