Using The Mill As A "bandsaw"

1" x 1/8 is a stock item at the steel supply store I go to, just picked some up to make spring clips for the 56 Chebby truck I'm restoring. I'd always ask if they stock common fractional thickness and width mat'l at the ssore. They also have the ability to cut steel, costing a bit more but saving you time.

Just for ha-ha's jatt, what kind and wot price? Around here they are asking stoopit money for vertical, metal cutting band saws. Wood saws are a dime a dozen, nice old Deltas ,Walkers and like but they run too fast. I gotta see if i have a my old speed reducer somewhere in my clutter, a band saw would be SO versitile for me.

Last edited:
For adjustments to your mill you could use left and right hand heim joints attached to the head.

For future reference, I bought* an old "Porta-Band" band-saw and mounted it to the workbench standing up vertical. Used a large "L" bracket and a steel pipe clamp. Even though I have a large horizontal band-saw, i still use the bench mounted saw for small cuts. Watch those fingers!!!! The saw loves to eat finger tips for breakfast.

*(Look in the local pawn shop for used tools, talk them down on the price.)

I agree on buying 1" flat stock. You can get it at any big box store even.

From what I've seen watching countless hours of machining videos on the youtube, you won't be able to mill clean through 1/8" stock with a 3/16" endmill before you die of old age without snapping off a LOT of endmills.

SURE i could by one of those but then i would have 2...i keep sheets of 1/4 up to 1 inch to always have what i need ..i just slice off what i need..no waiting...as for unsafe...well a toothpick is unsafe for some people.

For the same price, you can buy a HF bandsaw. Not saying that the HF is the same quality as the Milwaukee handheld, but it's a lot more useful in a shop. Ripping narrow pieces with a hand held saw is not that accurate or safe, whether it's wood or metal.

The suggestion that makes the most sense to me is to buy the 1/8 x 1 strips, and call it done.

SURE i could by one of those but then i would have 2...i keep sheets of 1/4 up to 1 inch to always have what i need ..i just slice off what i need..no waiting...as for unsafe...well a toothpick is unsafe for some people.

Depends on what you have. In my shop I would either use a sabre saw or a mini-grinder with 5 x 3/32 inch discs. The sabre saw would probably be most economical.
Cut a bit oversize and use the mill to make parallel side strips.

Well, I will bow to the more experienced members and skip the "bandsaw" idea.
THanks for all the input.

I would ask what tools you already have? If you already possess a jigsaw or reciprocating saw and a means to clamp the metal securely, bimetal blades will make short work of 1/8" thick steel. Done carefully, you could get 9 strips (maybe) and definately 8. Then use your mill to clean up the edges.

All the hardware stores around here sell basic metal supplies, 1/8" x 1" cold rolled being common.

Guys..... If you don't have a 4x6 import bandsaw, go buy one. Best $200 you will spend for your shop. Take your 20% coupon down to HF. No kidding, just do it.

I got mine cheaper from Enco then HF. They have 25%of & free shipping for another 25 minutes.

Back