Using The Mill As A "bandsaw"

stevemetsch

Registered
Registered
2 Newbee questions:
I have some 1/8" steel plate about 10" square. I want to cut it into 1" strips. I am thinking that I can clamp is down to the mill table with the cut line over a slot and use a 3/16" end mill and the powered x axis to make my cuts. What do you think???
I have a PM940PDF and have an awful time tramming it. I bought a spindle square (Edge Technology) and it works like a charm, BUT the mill head moves around as I try to tighten it. I am trying to design some kind of device to allow me to rotate the head with a screw to keep it from moving. Bridgeport has a worm screw. Lathe tailstock has opposing set screws. Has anyone done this.
I am jealous when I see a flycuttter used on a well trammed machine.

Seems like a lot of waste to me. I'm in a similar boat and am looking for an old Delta, etc. band saw. I've thought about a portable band saw set up but feel it's too restrictive for my needs. A portable band saw rental may be a little less frustrating than trying to mill it.

I don't know about your particular machine but can you snug the bolts down some and maybe tap it with a rubber or plastic mallet?

check out the second pic on this link
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillTramAdj.html

You should be able to make something like this for your mill, they just need to be a bit longer. They make tramming really simple.
Either way, you normally just get it close then snug the bolts and tap it around with a mallet.

You can cut the steel like you described, but you really want a bandsaw. You will end up with a saw eventually anyway.

By the time you're done milling you would've wasted enough endmills to the point where a bandsaw would've been cheaper :p :)

I'd try a jigsaw or a sawzall with short metal cutting blade first.

For the same price, you can buy a HF bandsaw. Not saying that the HF is the same quality as the Milwaukee handheld, but it's a lot more useful in a shop. Ripping narrow pieces with a hand held saw is not that accurate or safe, whether it's wood or metal.

The suggestion that makes the most sense to me is to buy the 1/8 x 1 strips, and call it done.
go a buy a stick of flat stock one in. wide and as long as you want in total one in. strips cut across the in.strap every 10 inches make your flat stock long enough to allow for the thickness of your cutting blade bingo a old arm strong hack saw will do arms good gotogojo

Just the time factor alone would put me off cutting like that on the mill.

Bandsaw, wouldnt be without one. In fact there's 3 of various sizes around here.

Back