Used US industrial vs New import....

This is the crux of the matter. In the examples I posted, they have videos of the machines running. I imagine I could bring a dial test indicator to check TIR, etc. That's about the extent of my ability. Have not touched a lathe or Mill in 30 years. My inclination is that they will at least be serviceable. And they do have a 30 day return policy, so I could theoretically examine them in depth once I got them. These likely wouldn't be the machines I end up with. I'm hoping to have the shop up within the next year, so purchase is about that far away. They had a beautiful lathe that would have been perfect, but sold it last week.

That's one thing I have going for me. I'm building my shop, which will be empty, so lots of space. The building will be a steel frame building ~40x70 with 12 ft side walls, but only 40x40 can be dedicated to the shop. More than plenty to start, though I've been told it will be too small if I keep with this. If that happens, I can always move the farm equipment out of the other end and build a new building for them. (wife will love that, so it'd better be many years down the road)
We thought same...too many estate sales and being a pack rat causes space depleting sydrome...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dale, on YouTube under build something cool, had a video which he talks about evaluating a mill. If you are looking at a used mill, i would suggest watching that first. I talks about what tools you will need and where you look.

joe

Dale, on YouTube under build something cool, had a video which he talks about evaluating a mill. If you are looking at a used mill, i would suggest watching that first. I talks about what tools you will need and where you look.

joe
That was a good video. I've also watched videos by Tom on Oxtools and I think one by Joe Pie on lathe evaluation. Trying to "edjumakate" myself as best I can. :)

Your best resource is right here.

If you want a new machine there are endless threads about manufacturers, importers, makes, models, etc.

If you want used and have some specific machines in mind I would reach out to the members here and see if anyone is within spitting distance of the machine and can help you evaluate it.

Our members are tremendously knowledgeable and helpful so I bet with a little lead time you can find someone who has the experience and measuring tools to make your used machine purchasing far less of a gamble.

Your budget is reasonable for either but you will definitely get more machine used and as with most things built in the US middle of last century the quality is hard to argue with even considering some wear.

John

This is the crux of the matter. In the examples I posted, they have videos of the machines running. I imagine I could bring a dial test indicator to check TIR, etc. That's about the extent of my ability. Have not touched a lathe or Mill in 30 years. My inclination is that they will at least be serviceable. And they do have a 30 day return policy, so I could theoretically examine them in depth once I got them. These likely wouldn't be the machines I end up with. I'm hoping to have the shop up within the next year, so purchase is about that far away. They had a beautiful lathe that would have been perfect, but sold it last week.

That's one thing I have going for me. I'm building my shop, which will be empty, so lots of space. The building will be a steel frame building ~40x70 with 12 ft side walls, but only 40x40 can be dedicated to the shop. More than plenty to start, though I've been told it will be too small if I keep with this. If that happens, I can always move the farm equipment out of the other end and build a new building for them. (wife will love that, so it'd better be many years down the road)

I don't think that there is a right answer, but with a year before you get serious about buying you have time to learn.

I've ended up with mostly older machines of 1940s to 1970s vintage, but I have been lucky that this site has introduced me to local people who were able to help me locate and evaluate the machines I've bought. Had I bought new I probably would have gone with a PM 1022 or 1127, and a PM25 mill. For about the same money I now have an 11x24" lathe, small knee mill, small horizontal mill, and a 7" shaper.

There is a lot of bashing of new machines, but if you go through a reliable vendor even the Chinese machines are decent, and Taiwan made machines can be very good. An added benefit of new is you can get what you want, when you want it (mostly, there can be stocking delays).
With vintage machines you have to find them, and while you can choose a size, you may end up having to learn a lot quickly when an unknown to you machine shows up to find out about its reputation, parts availability, fair price etc. If it is really a deal it may be gone long before you can make an educated decision.

With your space vintage offers you a great opportunity to get a lot of machine for your money. You have time, when you see a machine for sale that interests you, start a post on it. When you are ready to buy you should have a pretty good idea of what machines to keep an eye out for.

I thoroughly agree with @Aaron_W.
Research early on as you are doing will pay dividends in the long run.

My 2 cents echos what you have already heard. IMO if you are able to look at a used machine and evaluate its condition I would be inclined to buy a good used machine. If this is the way you want to go aside from condition consider parts availability, customer support, voltage, size and weight ect. I have Colchesters they are great machines but if you need parts you are going to pay. I feel for a hobby machinist if you purchase import and take care of the equipment it will last you a lifetime. I think that for the most part the import machines are capable of producing quality work and tolerances. IF I bought import I would lean toward the mid price range machines that have a bit more mass and features. Less risk buying new if you dont know what to look for in a used machine.

For a contrasting view (ok, maybe I'm wrong), I was recently looking for a CNC mill. Just a hobby machine and to learn. I know I will never put many hours on any machine, nor run it hard. I also won't ever need anything more than modest accuracy. I looked at maybe 10 machines and it came down to a bridgeport Boss with a 10 year old Centroid conversion or a 4 year old Tormach 1100 series 3.

So, I spent a lot of time evaluating each, pros, cons etc. The bridgeport was certainly more capable but I did find the Bridgeport was cross-listed on Ebay and the advertisement was nearly a year old. Similar story with other centroid coversions which, if you aren't familiar are real industrial conversions. The tormach had been listed a day or two when I called. Other tormachs I watched seem to sell in a short time.

So I chose the Tormach. It's the lesser machine, But I CAN SELL IT. So if this hobby is new to you, you think you might outgrow or loose interest, I would argue a machine with a wide audience might be a better buy since there is always a ready market. Words like 3 phase, 220 volts, or we have a forklift to load aren't appealing to everyone.

There's also an important safety component. New machines usually have safety shutoff, guards, shields, enclosures. These are important when working alone, doing something unfamiliar or as we get older. Old machines may or may not have been retrofitted and most have total loss bearings which equates to mess and other hazards.

To be fair, my Tormach joins my 1939 Southbend 13 inch lathe, Van Norman 16 and a couple shapers because I have 3 phase, 440 volts and a front end loader......

I just want to post this... you will probably have a few forum members close by you in Georgia (or wherever you are looking). When you are ready to go look at a machine, have one who is willing to go with you. It's always good to have a second set of eyes, especially if you are unsure of yourself.

Back