Used US industrial vs New import....

I find it handy to think of old US-manufactured machinery like buying, for example, a 1961 Chevy. ALL the same things apply when buying a mill or lathe. It's all about how much you know about the model, or at least who you know. If you need a car to restore, great, lots of spare parts. But, if you need something today to drive 50 miles each way to work, that new import car probably makes more sense. Again, same thing with the machinery. If you aren't in a hurry to be productive, its condition doesn't much matter, but if you own a shop or at-home business, *I* would probably look at a new import. Like so many things, it depends.

Patience is your friend, Benjamin is also your friend when it comes time to buy.

Don't try to negotiate over email, every seller has a list of people who want to pay less than their asking price who have never even bothered to look at the machine.

Go and look at anything local to you that's remotely suitable, even if the price is silly, because it will give you more knowledge.

I can think of one person on here who bought an older machine and really regrets it, but his need is for a business he's running. Most of us are hobbyists so having to do some refurb or repairs is just a good chance to learn more about the hobby. If all you want to do is just turn out parts then it makes sense to focus on only known good new machines but if you see this as a journey in learning then even overspending on a used machine can reap benefits far beyond actually having a particular tool. Time you spend setting up, fixing, and improving your tools gives you a much deeper understanding and builds confidence in ways that just buying something never will. Think about it this way, you can go buy the best guitar out there but if you don't practice, anyone with a cheap guitar can be a better player by putting in the time. Buying a project forces you to put in the time, and is quite likely to provide a more capable machine for less money.

When thinking about used don't limit yourself to just Old American Iron. There are plenty of worthy Taiwanese, German, Spanish, and even Chinese machines out there. If you're willing to look past dirt, rust and old chips you may end up with a deal, the one thing I would avoid is something that is "restored". Often these machines are just painted to look pretty so the seller can make a quick buck. Alternatively it might be something wonderful but the seller has put so much into it that they think it's made of gold. These are good to go look at though because often the owners will give you lots of info on what the process was and maybe, just maybe they will like you enough to drop their price to something reasonable.

I've owned four metal lathes, the first one was a multi-function that wasn't worth the cast iron it was made from, I bought it new and was happy to sell it for less than half what I paid. The second was definitely "old iron" a 100-year-old Seneca Falls machine I got for $300 off Craigslist and still have today, I used it in my business and it more than paid for itself just cleaning up engine parts. The third was a rusty 6" Craftsman I fixed up because I really wanted to have something out here earlier this year, I paid $275 and put about another $300 into it. And now I have a 13x40 Bolton that I traded the Craftsman for straight across. It needs a lot of work but I like the process of fixing up and building machines, maybe even a little more than just making stuff with them....

Don't get wrapped up in trying to make sure your first lathe will be perfect, even a basket case has the potential to teach you more than you ever thought.

Cheers,

John

Call some new machinery dealers and inquire about any machine deals. You might be surprised that A buyer puts a deposit down for a,custom machine and then they have to cancel. That machine can be deal for You.

There are a few reasons I like buying used equipment. First, of course, is the cost. You're usually able to get a much better deal compared to brand new machinery. Second, you can find some fantastic deals on used equipment. Usually, you're able to save around 20% off of the price of new machines. This platform has the best deals for me always! I always get all kinds of pieces of machinery from https://www.kitmondo.com/. Even better than that, sometimes you can find outstanding deals on used equipment that haven't even been used yet.

Last edited:
Old thread, old topic, no one answer for everyone.

I love refurbishing the old machines, but that requires working machine tools. So now I have 4 lathes, 2 mills, 2 surface grinders. And plan on building a larger shop (#3). I'm fortunate to have the option to pursue all of that.

Old thread, old topic, no one answer for everyone.

I love refurbishing the old machines, but that requires working machine tools. So now I have 4 lathes, 2 mills, 2 surface grinders. And plan on building a larger shop (#3). I'm fortunate to have the option to pursue all of that.
In the end I purchased a PM1236 lathe. I have been really happy with it! Guess I should probably post some photos... I got it last fall.
It sounds like you have your hands full ;)

In the end I purchased a PM1236 lathe. I have been really happy with it! Guess I should probably post some photos... I got it last fall.
It sounds like you have your hands full ;)
Yes, by all means... post some pictures. Everyone likes looking at tool pictures here. Often we like seeing how others mounted/set-up their new toys.

Back