Used price near new price, really?

There's a guy on CL around here that lists machinist tools. He always sells good quality stuff in excellent shape and staged in
such a way that his listings are recognizable. His prices are always quite high, he NEVER drops his prices, and none of it appears
to sell. He's been listing that stuff off and on for well over a year. Guys like this forget that in the end the market (supply and demand) determine
prices. He can ask whatever he wants of course, and maybe, just maybe he'll strike gold and someone will pay him what he's asking,
But his chances are slim and the buyers he's reaching out to (CL buyers) are by definition looking for some sort of deal. CL is full of
folks like that.
Hah, I know exactly the one you men. He asks basically 'new' prices for his used stuff (which is albeit in nice shape). I've got a feeling he'll have that forever at those prices.

The other thing, at least in my area is to label everything "Vintage" or "Collectable" when it is nothing more than a pile of rusty s-crap. Cannot believe what people charge.
Had one person who had a power hacksaw for sale. It looked like he had restored it. I was seriously interested and contacted him. I asked what he would take for it. His response was "What, do you want it for free". My response was I don't need his attitude or his saw. I don't care how nice it item is or how good the price. I can't stand people like that and I'll be darn if I am going to give them my hard earned money for being an AzzHole.
Sorry, rant is over.

Yeh, folks like that simply ignore the market and how it effects prices. There's another guy on CL that recently listed a 16 x 60 Reed and
Prentice lathe from 1942. Cool old machine, and well tooled, but he wants $6000 for it. The problem is, who's going to buy it?
Machine shops either already have, or are getting rid of big manual lathes, (at least judging by the number turning up on CL), and a machine that big
is too much for all but the most dedicated hobbyists. (I know, a bunch of folks on this forum might go for it...) Any shop that needs a big
lathe is probably going to buy something more modern. I bet he'd have trouble giving that thing away, much less getting 6 grand for it. It will
be interesting to see how long it sits on CL.

Yeh, folks like that simply ignore the market and how it effects prices. There's another guy on CL that recently listed a 16 x 60 Reed and
Prince lathe from 1942. Cool old machine, and well tooled, but he wants $6000 for it. The problem is, who's going to buy it?
Machine shops either already have, or are getting rid of big manual lathes, (at least judging by the number turning up on CL), and a machine that big
is too much for all but the most dedicated hobbyists. (I know, a bunch of folks on this forum might go for it...) Any shop that needs a big
lathe is probably going to buy something more modern. I bet he'd have trouble giving that thing away, much less getting 6 grand for it. It will
be interesting to see how long it sits on CL.
Heh, I got a similar one for $750! The guy selling 3 logans for $3k is STILL advertising them(more than a year now?), and that is closer to market than a lathe that big for $6k!

I've noticed some sellers on eBay give a good price on the item. But shipping is 3 times items cost. For example I was looking for a 1" dia. plastic cap for the wipers on my car ,found found several in and round 12$ for 2. Shipping was 34$. so their profit is in the shipping. These caps can be put in in and envelope and shipped for probably 3$

Shipping is something I calculate into total price. I figure in W&T, fuel(8 MPG truck), and my time to drive 30 miles to the hobby shop, if they're even open. If shipping gets much over that, the advert gets ignored. With the exceptions of extremely rare or no longer made in any form. Then it falls down to how bad I want it and how much I'm willing to pay. Which isn't much most cases.

Heh, I got a similar one for $750! The guy selling 3 logans for $3k is STILL advertising them(more than a year now?), and that is closer to market than a lathe that big for $6k!

Yeh, if he sold the Logans individually he'd have a chance. Who (but someone who parts them out on eBay) is going to buy 3 Logan lathes?
Oh, I know, someone on this forum... :)

Yeh, if he sold the Logans individually he'd have a chance. Who (but someone who parts them out on eBay) is going to buy 3 Logan lathes?
Oh, I know, someone on this forum... :)
With the turret attachments as well! I'm a touch surprised someone hasn't convinced him to split those off.

around here people ask new prices for old tools as "they're saving you the sales tax". The tools section on CL is pretty useless as 80% of the posts are the same stuff that people are asking the same inflated prices for months to years. Makes finding a new post something of an event.

I see Harbor freight tools for sale on face book market place for more then instore price and way more than coupon price. But even worse the free stuff for 7 to 10 dollars

Back