Used price near new price, really?

kb58

Registered
Registered
Up front I'll say that people are free to ask whatever they want, and buyers are free to pay it if they choose. That said...

I saw a rotary table on CL for "$350", checked the pictures, did a web search, and found that the same exact model brand new is $400. I just have to wonder what they're thinking. Maybe hoping to skim off someone who isn't paying attention? Maybe they honestly think it's worth that?

In my mind, the second you buy something, it's instantly worth 2/3 what you just paid. Use it a bit, and it's probably worth about half the new price. This one appears like it's been around awhile, which just leaves me scratching my head, "what are they thinking." That said, I'll probably send an email anyway and ask how firm he is on the price, pointing out the price of a new one. Costs nothing to ask and I figure at best, they come clean and say they don't know what it's worth, and what will I offer. At worst - if they answer - they'll act all offended and say it's worth every penny. I'll let you know what happens...

This is even more common on ebay. You see Albrecht chucks and Criterion boring heads beat to within an inch of its life going for 2/3 of new prices. This is not a buyer beware situation; it is a buyer be stupid if it sells.

I love the yard sales, where they are asking $5, and right next to their price tag, is a price tag from Habitat for humanity restore center, or good will, showing they paid $2. Did they not look at the existing sticker?

Some people figure if it still works it is as good as new. Then they will point out that you will save $50 so theirs is a much better deal. I will be curious to if and how your email gets answered.

I found the same thing when I was shopping for a lathe, 20+ year old machines were the same price as new. So I ended up buying a new one.

After I explained both the near-new price, and how (in my opinion) prices on used stuff drops fast, they asked "what are you offering?" I replied that given how a new one's $400, and this one's fairly old, I offered $150, ending the note saying that I'll understand if they want to hold out for more. The reply was "I'll let my husband know but he'll probably say no." Okay, and I put a number in his mind that as time passes, and if no one offers more, will seem more reasonable.

Some stuff can drop in value for a while, then start to creep back up as it becomes clear that it is really a great product and/or is becoming hard to find or isn't being serviced anymore, etc.
Some old vintage musical gear is like that.
Not that this is the case with the rotary table but just sayin'
-Mark

There are askin' prices and there are sellin' prices. One of the reasons I enjoy watching CL is
that the difference becomes pretty clear. Some folks aren't really interested in moving their stuff,
they're hoping for a miracle.

Craigslist and Ebay have been great advances in terms of being able to find used ... well used anything really. But as with anything, there is a flip side. People see what other people are posting. So, if someone who posts high, and pretty soon everyone is posting high.

Generally I don't pay more than 50% new price for used items. However, something like a rotary table is fairly indestructible, that is, unless it's horribly abused it will function as new for a very long time. For an item like that I'd go up to ⅔ new price, if it was in excellent condition.

Back