Used price near new price, really?

About 25 years ago I traded in a 15 month old Harley Davidson on a new one I got $500 more than what I paid for it. There were no extras on it After the deal was done I asked the salesman why, he said that that model was in high demand, and he already had a buyer willing to pay. It's not often you get lucky, but I did that time.

CL ads/prices are a crap shot to say the least which is kind of along the lines of one person's weed is another person's wildflower.

And while on the subject of prices, I have always been amazed at the prices on Ebay that are above retail. Also noticed that Amazon prices are increasing and starting to find better deals outside of Amazon.

My deceased dad, an incredibly successful haggler, said that the line that worked the best for him was "I will give you $XX.00 cash for it, and I don't care whether you accept it or not." Makes for getting to the nitty gritty price without wasting time haggling... Try it.

Last edited:
There is Harbor Freight stuff on eBay listed for more than new! I pointed this out to one seller who replied "I guess you don't want to buy it then." Obviously he knew this and was looking for a sucker.
Robert

When on Ebay, I check the recently sold listing for the item which shows the range of actual purchase prices that are being paid. That info might also give the unrealistic seller food for thought.

It might be argued that a new or very nearly new item offered for resale has virtually the same value as the new item. There are several things missing though. One is the warranty and another is the the loss of possible customer service. A third is uncertainty as to whether the item has suffered any abuse from the seller. These intangibles have some value. In some cases, the warranty will transfer to a new owner and customer service may still be honored for second owners. It is also possible that the seller is someone you trust to not sell you a bill of goods. Another intangible is availability. There is definitely a value in being able to have hands on immediately rather than waiting weeks or months to take delivery. I final asset is the ability to inspect an item prior to purchase. As they say, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

A scenario. My best friend bought a new lathe but found he couldn't possibly fit it into the chosen space so, knowing that I was looking at the same model, he offered it to me. Being a good friend, I could give him his purchase price so he would only be out the return shipping and I end up with the lathe I was going to buy anyway. On the other hand, being a good friend, he could offer it to me at a discount, eating the difference between his cost and mine. I get a good deal and he doesn't bear the additional cost of the return.

In the end, it comes down to supply and demand setting the price. If the price is too high, the demand will be low and the item won't sell. All one can do make an offer and see if a deal can be struck.

I just saw an Eastwood TIG electrode sharpener on Amazon for ~$150, while the same one is $95 on Eastwood's own site. I'm a little perturbed at Amazon because they're gouging twice, once because we pay $120 a year for "free" shipping, and again for slipping a price premium in and hoping we won't notice. So yeah, look around first before clicking "Buy Now."

Last edited:
There's a guy on CL around here that lists machinist tools. He always sells good quality stuff in excellent shape and staged in
such a way that his listings are recognizable. His prices are always quite high, he NEVER drops his prices, and none of it appears
to sell. He's been listing that stuff off and on for well over a year. Guys like this forget that in the end the market (supply and demand) determine
prices. He can ask whatever he wants of course, and maybe, just maybe he'll strike gold and someone will pay him what he's asking,
But his chances are slim and the buyers he's reaching out to (CL buyers) are by definition looking for some sort of deal. CL is full of
folks like that.

Up front I'll say that people are free to ask whatever they want, and buyers are free to pay it if they choose. That said...

I saw a rotary table on CL for "$350", checked the pictures, did a web search, and found that the same exact model brand new is $400. I just have to wonder what they're thinking. Maybe hoping to skim off someone who isn't paying attention? Maybe they honestly think it's worth that?

In my mind, the second you buy something, it's instantly worth 2/3 what you just paid. Use it a bit, and it's probably worth about half the new price. This one appears like it's been around awhile, which just leaves me scratching my head, "what are they thinking." That said, I'll probably send an email anyway and ask how firm he is on the price, pointing out the price of a new one. Costs nothing to ask and I figure at best, they come clean and say they don't know what it's worth, and what will I offer. At worst - if they answer - they'll act all offended and say it's worth every penny. I'll let you know what happens...

Then there are the "estate sale" sellers that have little or no concept of what they are selling or where to go to get an estimate of sellable price. Many sellers use the "W.W.Grainger" catalog as a reference for a "new" price. Without realizing, or knowing, that Grainger sells to heavy industry where time is more important than price. And often being able to get a wide selection of products on one "open" purchase order. This is also worth, to a business, extra cost. Then some seller comes along and gets a "free" catalog just for the asking. And bases their price on that catalog, without knowing the real value of the item. Further, a seller doesn't know that said item is a Chinese "knock off" and not a genuine u.s. made whatever. His only reference is the Grainger catalog. The only option is for the buyer to ask if the price of an item is "negotiable".

I've noticed some sellers on eBay give a good price on the item. But shipping is 3 times items cost. For example I was looking for a 1" dia. plastic cap for the wipers on my car ,found found several in and round 12$ for 2. Shipping was 34$. so their profit is in the shipping. These caps can be put in in and envelope and shipped for probably 3$

Back