UPS SUCKS

you should try UPS in rural France, I thought it was bad in the USA but is so inconceivably dysfunctional I routinely refused to trade with companies who insisted in using UPS. All the others are ok, Le Poste is actually just fine. I have never had a UPS delivery in either Norway or France that went without issues, spontaneous returns, false claims of my not being home etc.

30-40 years ago, I had a great UPS delivery driver. Same guy all the time, friendly, would go out of his way. We knew each other on a first name basis. When I moved to rural country, I was shocked to find UPS did not have a regular driver. I have no idea why since it seems like a cake walk compared to a suburban (traffic) setting. Maybe more miles, but less hassle. A different driver all the time is what I have. I have my UPS portal set up for a front door portico delivery. That way it keeps the package out of the weather. Many times it will be in the middle of the walk, by the garage (not to a side, but perfectly aligned with a tire if we were to back out). Calling UPS about the delivery is a waste. There's nothing they can or will do. I'm assuming some areas are like they were for me 30-40 years ago, but where I live, they seem to hate their routes, or hate the people on their routes. I watched from my garage the UPS driver drop a package from the few he was carrying at my neighbors, he kicked it all the rest of the way. That could have been my driver , who knows.

I'm one of the lucky ones because our UPS, FedEx and even USPS guys have been great. If they're running late, which happens, I'll meet them at our sidewalk to help out. They always appreciate it.

When I lived in S.E. Georgia, we were in an unincorporated community named Eden, Ga. The only feature of said community was the local post office. The post office did NOT provide curbside delivery there. You had no choice but to get U.S mail through a post office box.

UPS and FedEx will NOT accept something for shipment if it says "PO Box" on it, no matter what else you put. Vendors like Amazon, that randomly pick whatever deliver method suits them, were particularly frustrating. The post office would return things that did not have the box number (letters from insurance companies were particularly difficult, as they had to have your actual home location). Non-postal thing would get rejected if it did have a box number. The post office rejected it if it didn't, even if you used a nine digit zip which basically adds the box number to the zip code. Technically since the zip code was specific to the post office I should have used a different zip for street delivery. Try getting that past online vendors, what, your shipping zip doesn't match your billing zip? So it was a game of Russian roulette to get things delivered. Drivers licenses were a challenge. Federal law has some wierd requirement that any Federal agency must accept a map from a well known location to your residence if your address and residence don't match, so my pilot's license had a PO Box and the FAA had a map from the post office.

To make matters worse, we lived on road name that was reused in the far end of the county, except we were on a "Circle" and the other end was "Street".

Last edited:
Back