Upper Midwest Hobby Machinists social gathering?

I met Dennis this past summer. I wanted to learn the craft of scraping but time constraints from working a rotating shift and distance to his shop was just too much.
Starting a new job in January which will he four on three off. I hope to get back into it.
Would love to take a class.

Lets work something out for December. I do not have a shop anymore, how about you?. That's shop is Daryls up in Isanti or where ever it is...and like I said they have no clue on rebuilding compared to me. Google "Richard King Scraping" on You Tube. Also I have infor on my forum list at the top of the forum list on here.

So how big a group do you all think we are talking about?

I know absolutely nothing compared to most of you but I'm loving the journey so far. I have a modest shop ( three car garage and tools move to accommodate the cars in winter) but it's heated and air conditioned and fairly well lighted...by no means spotless) most of my hand tools are cheap chinesium with a goal to upgrade as I get more knowledge. I would be happy to host a smallish group if other places are not available.

As mentioned above, house is full so any food would need to be garage friendly. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to say, December might be hard with family obligations but open to suggestions.

Bill--I would be interested in attending a social gathering at anyone's shop---always glad to visit other member's shops and meet other members and keep in touch--Dave in Rochester

Forgot to say, December might be hard with family obligations but open to suggestions.

John--

If you would be willing to host, I suspect that quite a few of us would be interested in meeting other people in this group. Like you, I consider myself a novice at this hobby, and like Dave Smith (above) I would really like to meet other people and see what they're up to (a "meet and greet" session).

I think the easiest way to make it happen would be for you to come up with a date that would work for you and then just have people RSVP here. There are a lot of people who are nominally members so I think enough would be able to come to make it worthwhile--even if it were only a half dozen people. Maybe one goal for this meeting could be to plan another get-together in the summer at someone else's house. That's something we neglected to do the other two times people got together, several years ago.

Thanks for keeping this idea going.

Bill Burton

I would be interested in attending a social gathering. I'm retired, so my schedule is fairly open.
John

So here is a though for a first get together.

A late January,or early February, Saturday morning starting with breakfast at a restaurant to meet everybody then to my garage for as long as anyone wants to stay. As stated before, I am really new to this and have very limited equipment and even more limited experience. That said, I have an old Logan/MW 10 x 31 lathe and an old Van Norman #12 milling machine. A good friend and co-worker of mine has added his mini lathe, horizontal band saw, welding equipment and hydraulic press to the mix. Tooling is limited but growing. I have an average home, a limited shop and the desire to learn more. I'm happy to start the ball rolling...who knows where it will take us?

Maybe someone has a skill or project or problem that we could all learn from? Anyone have any ideas?

I live in Rosemount, lots of restaurants in the area. Give me a little feed back between January or February and I will narrow down the dates.

John V.

I'm open January 26th, February 2nd, 9th, and 16th. It sounds like a good plan! There are a lot of people in this group so hopefully several will be able to come and we can talk about possibilities for the future.

Bill Burton

It looks like we've got four or five people interested so far, which is enough to go ahead as far as I'm concerned--but the more the merrier! I'm hoping--but I don't know for sure--that everyone in this group is getting alerts about this conversation.

Bill Burton

Back