Upgrade - Shop Air - Quality 60-80gal compressors?

Guys and gals,
Don't mess around with an old unknown tank.
A local guy was killed last week due to an exploding air tank.
The compressor was old. A fellow hobby guy in his garage.
When in doubt, throw it out.
Hence why I don't want to take a chance on my current old one.
Sorry to hear of the catastrophe. That is a shame.

@Janderso I am with you Jeff, I was looking for a used compressor but what I saw was just too questionable. Decided that I will only settle for new. May consider a used compressor and motor but not a used tank.

I'm late to the party, but have a bit of experience with compressors. Some of the more popular names come in varying grades with very different levels of quality. I've seen a Speedaire that was identical (other than paint) as a Campbell Hausfield (and several other brands), so you really have to research them.

For the normal (non-screw type) piston compressors I'd say Saylor-Beall and Quincy are the best, but many of the Quincy models now have gone to the cheap side. S-B doesn't really make a cheap compressor of any kind. The really nice thing about S-B is you can call them and get someone on the phone who knows what they're talking about. A while back I bought a nice 80Gal S-B from the estate of a retired woodworker, called S-B and in about five minutes had all the supporting documentation e-mailed to me...manual, parts manual, etc. It was missing the guard so I made a new one, changed the oil, new air filter, new belts, did a hydro test and bore scoped the tank, etc.

As much as I like S-B, I sold mine when I got a crazy deal on an 80Gal Quincy pressure lubricated QR model....it's their premium, heavy-duty model....they aren't cheap and I'm into it well under $1K. The Quincy puts out more air and seems quieter, but it was just such a deal that I was able to sell the S-B and almost cover the cost of keeping the Quincy for free. You really can't go wrong with either brands.

Ihave an 80 gallon 7.5 hp. compressor from harbor freight. it has worked well for over 6 years. it has a baldor motor siemans controls a usa made compressor was cheap at the time and my money was getting tight bill

I'm late to the party, but have a bit of experience with compressors. Some of the more popular names come in varying grades with very different levels of quality. I've seen a Speedaire that was identical (other than paint) as a Campbell Hausfield (and several other brands), so you really have to research them.

For the normal (non-screw type) piston compressors I'd say Saylor-Beall and Quincy are the best, but many of the Quincy models now have gone to the cheap side. S-B doesn't really make a cheap compressor of any kind. The really nice thing about S-B is you can call them and get someone on the phone who knows what they're talking about. A while back I bought a nice 80Gal S-B from the estate of a retired woodworker, called S-B and in about five minutes had all the supporting documentation e-mailed to me...manual, parts manual, etc. It was missing the guard so I made a new one, changed the oil, new air filter, new belts, did a hydro test and bore scoped the tank, etc.

As much as I like S-B, I sold mine when I got a crazy deal on an 80Gal Quincy pressure lubricated QR model....it's their premium, heavy-duty model....they aren't cheap and I'm into it well under $1K. The Quincy puts out more air and seems quieter, but it was just such a deal that I was able to sell the S-B and almost cover the cost of keeping the Quincy for free. You really can't go wrong with either brands.

Just looked up the Quincy pressure lubricated 80 gallons, they are going for $2900. Some kind of a deal you came across.

Just looked up the Quincy pressure lubricated 80 gallons, they are going for $2900. Some kind of a deal you came across.

Yeah, they aren't cheap! Mine wasn't new, but super clean and had the documentation that I knew how old it was, etc...bore scoped the tank and the chalk writing on the inside was still visible, then I did a hydro test just to be safe.

Back