UNIVERSAL DIVIDING HEAD BS-2 PARTS

Keys should match the slots. So 0.250". Not 6mm. You want a snug fit, not rattling around.
Narrow keys contribute to wallowing out the slots. The key should immobilize the gear from rotation on the shaft.
I agree. That is why I don't understand why they are different. Especially the one on the drive,it is not as if someone made it smaller than 1/4",it looks like it was made 13/64" and the gears 1/4".

Hi @brino.

I took out the key and measured the keyway and that measurement was 1/4". The key that was jammed in there was actually just made slightly longer than the slot and hammered in there. So if you have not made the keyways yet and you do have a 1/4" broach,you can make it 1/4" if you like....that is if you have not posted the gears allready.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
@Suzuki4evr
Michael,
I reamed the ID of the gears to exactly one inch on Monday... and got a good finish.
Last night I cut the 1/4" wide x 1/8" deep key-ways in all the gears.
This morning I finally got them in the mail to you!

Unfortunately, I did NOT get any photos..... but it really did happen!
Hopefully soon you will see for yourself.

You requested a shipping time estimate, but they would not give one without upgrading to shipping method with tracking, and the cheapest of those was almost CAD $200! So nope no time estimate.

Brian

:cheer: :big grin::cheer::big grin::cheer:
I can't wait.

Unfortunately, I did NOT get any photos..... but it really did happen!
:laughing:
I will take your word for it. Once again Brian.........THANK YOU.

How much did it work out at the end?
You requested a shipping time estimate, but they would not give one without upgrading to shipping method with tracking, and the cheapest of those was almost CAD $200! So nope no time estimate
Well I will just have to be patiant then. Hopefully it will not take THAT long. Thank you for all your effort,I truly appreciate it. I will let you know when it arrived.

Michael

I think they probably are? However, for your use I doubt hardening is necessary? They’re not high use or RPM. I doubt you'd wear them out in your lifetime! LOL
I defer to the experts though

Hi guys.
I got most of the parts done and I think for what I need it for I will stop at these for now. I know I must still make the shaft that fits in the Dividing Head,but its not needed right now.

I made the gear mounts out of solid bars. To save material I constructed a highly sufisticated clamping mechanism on the bandsaw......as you will see. Well it worked OK.
20230323_092437.jpg20230324_141418.jpg20230324_141452.jpg20230327_083710.jpg
I machine the blocks to size,milled the slots and did the radiused parts on the rotary table.
20230403_104825.jpg20230403_113358.jpg20230404_092846.jpg20230404_110224.jpg20230406_091416.jpg
Sorry I forgot to take a pic of the radius milling. I made the bushing,washers and pins next and made some 1/4" keys out 8mm key stock because I could not get 1/4" keysteel. Below are everything together.
20230418_092156.jpg20230418_092845.jpg
Now I am just waiting on gears good ol @brino printed for me.......yep Brian it's still out there somewhere.

Thanks again @Mill for the pics and drawings.

I will post again when the gears arrive and assemble it on the DH.

Michael.

Michael,

Great job on those brackets, very professional!

Brian

Back