Trepanning Job? Not sure

I’d be using an annular cutter and cleaning up with boring bar. I can’t imagine trepaning that deep.
Shop made trepanning tool was made IIke an annular tool with only one cutter. Cutters were made out of 1/2 brazed extra long tool bits with hand ground clearance on outside of tool blank. Trepan cut was 1/2 wide. But we saved a ton of money by using the inside slugs. On smaller trepan jobs we used hand ground
hss tools. l’m posting pic of trepanned tool steel bearing races where one piece of material was used to make larger and smaller set of bearing races out of one piece of material.

Attachments

• 2166144C-24D1-495C-B7CF-718E694F5E33.jpeg
    2166144C-24D1-495C-B7CF-718E694F5E33.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
Careful shopping on eBay can find some nice annular cutters for reasonable prices.

I recently bought a new (NOS) 2-5/16" diameter by 3" deep with carbide cutters for less than $43- delivered. Bought some M42 smaller ones previously for a reasonable price.

1646876298489.png

I used this cutter on the PM1340GT with excellent results.

Ariel

Careful shopping on eBay can find some nice annular cutters for reasonable prices.

I recently bought a new (NOS) 2-5/16" diameter by 3" deep with carbide cutters for less than $43- delivered. Bought some M42 smaller ones previously for a reasonable price.

View attachment 399665

I used this cutter on the PM1340GT with excellent results.

Ariel
How do you hold that in the lathe? Hard to tell what the right (non-cutting) side looks like.

How do you hold that in the lathe? Hard to tell what the right (non-cutting) side looks like.
They typically have a 3/4" shank with Weldon flat that can be held in the tailstock with a large keyed chuck or an MT3 shanked 3/4" end mill holder. The short-shanked versions are typically designed for QC Rotabroach-style drill chucks on Mag-Drills.

This cutter is HSS - but you can better see the shank on this one.

If you want to go all out, you can buy MT3 to Rotabroach adapters like this one (which is what I have):

Makes sense now guys. Thank you!!

Shop made trepanning tool was made IIke an annular tool with only one cutter. Cutters were made out of 1/2 brazed extra long tool bits with hand ground clearance on outside of tool blank. Trepan cut was 1/2 wide. But we saved a ton of money by using the inside slugs. On smaller trepan jobs we used hand ground
hss tools. l’m posting pic of trepanned tool steel bearing races where one piece of material was used to make larger and smaller set of bearing races out of one piece of material.
Jim is the real deal!

Metal cutting hole saw will do the job as well, just need to pin the checking tail stock to prevent rotation.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back